SMART Mabul Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

After much debate, I've pretty much decided on SMART Mabul for my next diving holiday. I'm planning on being there mid Dec and while I realise this isn't the ideal time to go, what are the conditions generally like?

Are dives limited by time (i.e only allowed 45 mins), or are you allowed to dive for as long as you can (back on the boat with 50bar)? I understand the 'unlimited' shore diving is only b/w 7am - 7pm...is this correct? Does the schedule allow you to do a dive after getting back from the boat in the afternoon? What about night diving - is there an extra charge?

I don't normally dive with a DM - how restrictive are they? Do you need to stick together in the group or if you see something that takes your attention can you & your buddy head off to investigate?

Any help people can offer would be fanastic before I make my final decision

Mel :)

When I was at Smart (although it was a couple of years ago so I am not sure if they changed anything since then), they were pretty relaxed. Our group has the whole boat to ourselves with one DM and one DM trainee. After the first day, our DM was pretty relaxed. He said that he did not want to stay more than one hour per dive but since we had quite a few people who seemed to have gill, they did not want to end the dive early (myself not included) so we had a compromised. At one hour,the DM left the water but let we stayed as long as we want but only when everybody is already in the shallow. Night dive was free and without DM if it is from the jetty. Night dive elsewhere were extra, with DM.
They did like to keep an eye on everyone. A few times that I got left behind as I was taken pictures, the DM trainee would always come looking for me so generally they don't like the starburst pattern diving and prefer that we go in the same directions but not neccessarily as a tight group.
If I go back to Sipadan again, Smart would definitely be where I will stay.

I was at SMART two days ago. I can't comment on the December weather. Relative to diving.

1. Dives at Sipadan are generally limited to 45 minutes. I pushed them to 50 minutes.

2. Dives at Mabul and Kapalai are stated as 60 minutes.

3. I found them fairly serious about times.

4. No solo diving.

5. Stay with your buddy - somewhat loose. Pairs could and did go off on their own.

6. The shore diving is from the jetty on the backside of the island. Unless you sneak into the water they will want you to have a partner.

7. There are three dives a day. If you do a second dive at 2 PM or 2:30 PM then you have time to do a shore dive. It will be getting darker earlier in December so I am not sure what time they will request that you be out of the water.

There are a couple of people on this board who are supposed to go to Mabul in April. They promised a report when they got back!! So we'll see.

We are planning on going there for New Year's. So far, we've heard pretty good feedback from divers on this board (do a search for Mabul SMART). I would second the recommendation about the water bungalows, they look pretty nice on the web and they are very new!

Enjoy your trip, if you are staying until Jan. then we may run into each other!!

J.

Hey there,
We are going to Mabul in May and will be glad to report back what we find!
5 1/2 weeks and counting!!!!!!
Susie
I am supposed to bring Halle Barry with me but iI am not sure she will fit in my suitcase next to my Diva LX!

When I was there a few years back, they gave me a lot of leeway. Long long bottom times, but I had to go with their departure schedule.

When the resort was not so crowded, they gave my small group our own boat; schedules, bottom times... etc became even more flexible.

I guess things have changed over the years.

I wish I was going with a group...sounds like more flexibility. I'm just waiting on flight prices from the travel agent and then I'm going to book. I don't know how I'm going to wait until Decemeber!

Jebah, I wish I could stay until Jan but I can only afford a week :crying2: I'm planning on leaving Mabul on the 22nd Dec so I'm home in time for Christmas with the family. Scuba Susie, i can't wait to hear about your trip!

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom