Smallest/Slimmest Underwater camera/housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

Just curious if anyone can chime in on some suggestions for the smallest/slimmest underwater camera/housings out there? I'm suspecting it may be the Sony T series with housing?

The reason for asking is, while I love my Canon Setup, I don't really want to take it with me on every dive due to various reasons (my air consumption going up 10-15%, dragging around a bubble, etc.) - but there are times when I wished I had a camera when I didn't have one. It would be nice to have a small/slim camera that could fit in a BC pocket. I was thinking of starting to log my dives with pictures of the surrounding areas, basic sights underwater, etc. Ideally I could load the camera with a lithium battery, put it in the housing, and stuff it in my BC pocket, if I took pictures, great, if I didn't I could just rinse the housing and have it ready for next dive - though the whole wearing out the O-ring from continuous pressure I suppose is a major drawback of that idea...Anyway enough of the babbling - any suggestions?

BestAuto_pointandshoot_Olympus_1030SW.jpg

Olympus Stylus 1030 SW: Best pocket-sized, waterproof (all sport) camera

The Olympus 1030 SW costs more than the FE360, but it is the only camera in this review that can go underwater WITHOUT a housing. This bomber little camera is shockproof from 2m / 6.6ft and waterproof to 10m / 33ft. If you want a land camera that can survive a drop in the sand, brush off a drink spill, withstand a snorkel dive to 33 feet, and still slip into a pant suit pocket, this is the camera for you. The waterproof design of this camera makes it perfect for diving. If you miss a cat hair or three on the underwater housing o-ring, the camera will likely survive any minor housing leak. The Olympus PT-043 is our preferred underwater housing as it is compatible with the Fisheye FIX M46 52 Wide Lens. However, due to the 28mm lens on this camera, accessory wide angle lens users will need to bump the zoom one click to prevent vignetting (dark corners). As with other cameras in this category, you will need to use digital slave compatible strobes such as the Ikelite AF35, Ikelite DS-51, Sea & Sea YS-27, Sea & Sea YS-17, and Sea & Sea YS-110 alpha underwater strobes.

Very Slim, Compact Housing.... and if your snorkeling you don't need the housing at all.

Thanks for the replies!

Can the Olympus 1030 SW's buttons be used/pressed when at 33 feet?

Thanks,

Bob

Back
Top Bottom