Smallest, Lightest BP/W System Possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Fatzinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

Not sure if I posted something along the lines of this before, but I thought I'd give it a shot once more. I've tried to do the most research I can before posting, but want to know if anyone knows any secrets that I was unable to uncover. I am looking to make the tiniest, lightest BP/W system I possibly can. I am 5'7", 140lb, but lean to the point where I need little to no weight in warm waters.

So far for BP, I've found the xDeep NX Ultralight (only con being that the waist strap seems kinda high, anyone with the plate can comment), the Freedom plate (not sure if it's super light, but the profile seems largely ideal), and the Helium-Dive Titanium Signature (they used to make a travel plate, but discontinued it ;( )

For wings, I've found that 18lbs of lift is the least. There are many options being Oxycheq, VDH, Apeks, and some that are 20lb that come close. I have also seen the xDeep Ghost's wing, which is super light, but has a lot of width and brings with it ~40lb of lift. If anyone has any info on a wing that is less than 18lb, PLEASE let me know. I would prefer a wing where I can get multiple color options, as I love customizing my gear.

Thank you!

No personal experience but Halycon has a carbon fiber plate that is quoted to be 1.1 pounds. How much does the xDeep plate weigh?

No personal experience but Halycon has a carbon fiber plate that is quoted to be 1.1 pounds. How much does the xDeep plate weigh?
No idea to tell you the truth. Not able to find it online. Was thinking about the Halycon Carbon Fiber plate

So far for BP, I've found the xDeep NX Ultralight (only con being that the waist strap seems kinda high, anyone with the plate can comment), the Freedom plate (not sure if it's super light, but the profile seems largely ideal), and the Helium-Dive Titanium Signature (they used to make a travel plate, but discontinued it ;( )
I don't think you can get much lighter than the OxyCheq UltraLite
Ultra Lite Travel Plate in almost every color

I have the helium dive plate and hardware. I'm pleased with the quality and the light weight for travel.

I live in phoenix and there is a shop in tucson that carries them, so was able to see it in person before purchase.

I did have to get some rubber pieces to keep the cam bands from scratching my tanks (see pic, they're kind of sharp)

Attachments

• camband.png
    camband.png
    813.3 KB · Views: 112
Ultra Lite Travel Plate in almost every color
I definitely prefer a rigid plate. Thanks though!
I have the helium dive plate and hardware. I'm pleased with the quality and the light weight for travel.

I live in phoenix and there is a shop in tucson that carries them, so was able to see it in person before purchase.

I did have to get some rubber pieces to keep the cam bands from scratching my tanks (see pic, they're kind of sharp)
Yes, paragon! Do you have the travel plate or the signature?

The lightest metal backplates are the Chinese knock offs of the XDeep Ghost, the weighs less than a pound and is the standard webbing pattern.

Titanium plates typically weigh the same as aluminum plates of the same thickness and design. They are of course stronger for the same weight.

The lightest metal backplates are the Chinese knock offs of the XDeep Ghost, the weighs less than a pound and is the standard webbing pattern.

Titanium plates typically weigh the same as aluminum plates of the same thickness and design. They are of course stronger for the same weight.
Where would I find these elusive Chinese knock off plates?

I think the OP is primarily concerned about buoyancy. That UltraLite looks... puffy, so might be what they want. One could also add neoprene padding to most any harness or plate to improve a negatively buoyant situation.

Back
Top Bottom