Small Rupture in Ear Please Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plzhelpme

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm flying to Fiji for my honeymoon on Sunday and was planning to dive the reef on Tuesday or Wednesday.
I was having a slight problem clearing my ear while diving and basically ruptured my drum. I have very bad allergies and am guessing this had something to do with the problem I had. The funny thing was I was able to clear and finish the dive and the certification no problem, just a little foggy in the ear.
I was supposed to get certified on the island but something fell apart and I had to do it privately before we got there.
all n' all i'm feelin pretty bad right now.
I really want to dive and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is the main idea to keep my ear ok to keep it dry or to not get it under pressure?
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Diving Medicine.

Taking mod hat off- Here's a link to a question on the same topic at the divers alert network-

DAN Divers Alert Network

My son perforated his eardrum earlier this year. Went to an ENT and did a video of it with the camera inside his ear and feeding it to a TV screen. We could see it was a small hole that comprised of maybe 10% of the surface area of the membrane. In this case the Doc said give it three weeks to a couple months to heal....and DON'T DIVE. Within two weeks my son could hear it popping again and was back in the water in a month.
The Doc did say that if the rupture is the equivalent of a "half moon" it would most likely require surgery to repair it.
That was our experience. For sure I would see an ENT though. Preferably one who is near the ocean and knows diving a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom