Question Small Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unproductive

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting back into diving after a multi-year break, and now there are "small" backplates. The attached photos are of a regular DGX SS plate. Do I need a small plate?

I'm 5'6" (66") 145#.

The Oxycheq states "For Divers under 63/64" and shorter (under 163 cm)"
Halcyon doesn't seem to have a recommendation.
Heser Tauchtechnik states "A short backplate offers for people with a body size under 170cm (5.6 feet)"

In the current configuration the plate is basically resting on the top of my butt.

Attachments

• Plate 2.jpeg
    Plate 2.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Plate 1.jpeg
    Plate 1.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 115
You could move it up a smidge, but you are right there at the point of needing to use a smaller/shorter plate.
I have purposefully had a setup where the plate was low like this (for double hose twins). Not very comfortable, but doable.
Also, what are you doing for weights?
You might have a conflict there if using a belt.
I make a short backplate, but I am thinking it is too small for you @ 12.375", and it is for singles only.

I know this is a hogarthian thread, so I might be speaking blasphemy.

Yeah I think your on the edge as well, I would try it first. I have a few buddies who are a couple inches shorter than you and love the small plates.

I think you're OK the way you are. I don't think you'd notice either way underwater. Try pulling the straps a little tighter.

I tightened up the straps and it worked well. Might try a small plate in the future. Thanks!

I'm getting back into diving after a multi-year break, and now there are "small" backplates. The attached photos are of a regular DGX SS plate. Do I need a small plate?

I'm 5'6" (66") 145#.

The Oxycheq states "For Divers under 63/64" and shorter (under 163 cm)"
Halcyon doesn't seem to have a recommendation.
Heser Tauchtechnik states "A short backplate offers for people with a body size under 170cm (5.6 feet)"

In the current configuration the plate is basically resting on the top of my butt.
The need for the short plate is more a function of the distance from your neck to your butt than from head to toe. I have seen people as short as 5'1" who were perfectly comfortable in a full size plate because their torso was long enough and they just had short arms and legs. Likewise some fairly tall people may have long limbs and a proportionately short torso or a rather large butt that starts kind of high who are more comfortable in a short plate. Try both if you can and see which fits you best. What I recommend for fitting either to your particular body is to weave the webbing through the top slots and install the upper D-rings, then place the plate on your back so the bottom is right in the small of your back, just above where your butt starts to curve out. If the top is not too high (on a full size plate) or too low (on a small plate), then you should be able to use that plate by just holding it in that spot and threading the webbing through the bottom slots and tightening the shoulder straps to keep it in that spot. Then add the lower D rings, buckle, etc. and you should be all set.

I'm a hair under 66" and I'm fine with a standard plate. If you raise up the plate a skosh you can keep your cylinder at the same height by just mounting it a bit lower you have plenty of room. Your torso could be shorter than mine though - there is more to fit than just height.

I tightened up the straps and it worked well. Might try a small plate in the future. Thanks!
Yeah, the top of the plate should be at the top of your shoulder blade, so moving it up should do the trick.

I am 5'4" and am happy in a standard plate. I tried a short one and it just never felt right.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom