Small nose, low volume Freediving mask, clear skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone besides me noticed that masks are designed with the assumption that we all have the honkin big nose of a Jacques Cousteau? I have a little tiny girl nose, and I’d like a free diving/scuba mask that doesn’t waste a lot of volume at the end of it. I also like a clear skirt because women have better peripheral vision than men, and if I want to feel like I’m cave diving, well maybe I’ll just take that cave diving class. My Aqualung Micro is pretty good, but it still has room for a nose and a half! Any ideas guys?

Not a clear skirt, but due to glass close to eyes reportedly excellent peripheral vison:

Mako Minimus mask is awesome!

Disclaimer: posted by a guy with aparently gender related tunnel vision :wink: ...
who has not yet tried tast mask...

(Edit: I mean me, here in this post, not the OP of the linked post, not speaking for anyone else)

That looks like a good mask if only they made it with a clear skirt. I have a couple of black skirt masks that I bought after reading that black skirts were “better” due to internal reflection, but I was amazed at how much they reduced my field of vision. I only recently learned that women’s peripheral vision is better and different than men’s, and that explained both the recommendations and the failure of the masks to please me.

Here’s a quote on the subject I found interesting:

“Women not only have a greater variety of cones in the retina, they also have wider peripheral vision than men.As a nest defender, a woman has brain software that allows her to receive an arc of at least 45 degree clear vision to each side of her head and above and below her nose. Many women's peripheral vision is effective up to almost 180 degrees. A man's eyes are configured for a type of long-distance tunnel vision which means that he can see clearly and accurately directly in front of him and over greater distances. As a hunter, a man needed vision that would allow him to zero in on, and pursue, targets in the distance. He evolved with almost blindered vision so that he would not be distracted from targets, whereas a woman needed eyes to allow a wide arc of vision so that she could monitor any predators sneaking up on the nest.This is why modern men can find their way effortlessly to a distant pub, but can never find things in the fridge.”
This also helps explain the popularity of ball sports.

TUSA makes some masks specifically for women with clear skirts......hey wait, I didn't mean that you wear clear skirts.

Guys I am curious if this gender peripheral vision thing is real. Try this: stand up and stare straight ahead at a fixed point, spread arms wide 180 degrees, wiggle fingers. Can you see them? How much do you have to angle in to see them both at the same time? It’s just like your buddy kicking next to you. If you can then wouldn’t you want to see that? Yeah, no more black mask skirts for me!

Unless they've changed, the clear skirt allows light in but it is blurry...still, it might be nice to be aware of the giant blurry shark next to you.

@MAKO Spearguns why not make a clear skirt freedive mask? Wouldn’t a spear fisherman like to see a fish in his peripheral vision? And what about women spear fishers? There’s a reason women prefer clear masks and it’s not just so our faces look pretty.

Unless they've changed, they clear skirt allows light in but it is blurry...still, it might be nice to be aware of the giant blurry shark next to you.
You are right about that, It is blurry but you still catch it especially if there’s movement!

Back
Top Bottom