Small head/mask mounted light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soamelt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone know of a small head or mask mounted light that's -
- small- I'm thinkng small penlight mounted on side, the UK Q40 seems way too big.
- not too bright - I'm actually looking for a xenon bulb. I want this light for lobstering at night. I'll use my primary to spot them, but I need handsfree to catch and a relatively dull light (too bright will scare them away).
- inexpensive - I prefer to not spend more than $50.

I've checked some on line sites and the main ones are the OMS LED which is too bright and no way will fit on my forehead with my mask. The other one is the UK Q40 Xenon which seems too big. I feel like that would cause problems with my mask, but is the current front runner.

I've done some searches as well here, bit didn't find what I was looking for.

Greg

Last edited:
Have you thought about just temporarily taping a smallish backup light to your mask straps, or using elastic to put a pair of small lights on the back of hands/gloves? There's bound to be an ingenious method for this.

Back to your original question, have you checked out Pelican's Website? I'm pretty sure they have a diveable headlamp, or at least at one time had.

Peace,
Greg

I have thought about some DIY solution, the problem is that I'm about the least handy person as one can get. If it's something that I put together, I can't imagine the stress it would end up causing me during a half mile kick out on a beach dive and an hour and a half of current beating on it.

I'll check Pelicans site, thanks.

Also,
Greg

Sorry, one other option is to attach a penlight to your snare (assuming you hunt with a snare). It lights up the bug nicely whilst you are catching it, then when you pull it in and grab the bug, the snare drops but the light will point up and keep the target illuminated whilst you struggle to get it into the bag.

It isn't perfect, but it is another solution.

Here you go:

Pelican HeadsUp Lite 2680 Recoil LED

Never used (or even seen) one, but it looks good in principle.

That one seems similar to th OMS one at ST, would seem to interfere with my large mask. I could be wrong though.

Sorry, one other option is to attach a penlight to your snare (assuming you hunt with a snare). It lights up the bug nicely whilst you are catching it, then when you pull it in and grab the bug, the snare drops but the light will point up and keep the target illuminated whilst you struggle to get it into the bag.

It isn't perfect, but it is another solution.

I do use a snare and hat seems like a brilliant idea! I am definately going to to try that, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom