Small dive locker ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an underused outside toilet at my house, and I'm thinking about repurposing the room as a dive locker. It's a pretty tight space though, so looking for ideas to maximise the space.

Has anyone squeezed a practical dive locker into this sort of space? If so, what do you like and and what would you change? Love to hear your ideas!

Diagrams below.
The room is 1450mm x 1450mm (4'9" for you American types), and has hot and cold water and drain, which will be handy after I remove the toilet and hand basin. The door opens inwards, so that will have to change to either outward opening or a roller door. Room goes directly to the back yard, which is secure.

I'm thinking something along the lines of laying my tanks down under a low shelf on the back wall (2 x singles, 1 x twins, 1 x stage). On the shelf I'd put dive tubs (room is just big enough for two end-to-end). Above that, considering either a bench or just 300mm deep cupboards full length of the back wall. To store regs, torches, masks, fins, etc, plus spares. Will also have power for a charging station.

Along the right, I'd put a deep rectangular stainless steel wash tub, as big as can practically fit, with a benchtop that hinges down over it if needed, and possibly a wire rack above for leaving small items to dry.

divelocker.pngdivelocker2.png

After playing around with a few ideas in Sketch Up, this is what I've landed on. And given the weather was reasonable today, made a start on it too! As much as I tried, I just couldn't find a way to get a decent sized wash trough - at least this will suffice for rinsing my lights, camera gear, masks and other small paraphenalia

2021-06-19 22_50_12-Dive Locker v2.skp - SketchUp Make 2017.png

IMG_20210619_165937.jpg

Have you thought about just doing a floor drain, and tiling it with a sizeable lip at the door way (like one giant shower stall). Then you can have a spray nozzle on a hose, and just rinse on/over the floor. Wire racks and curtain rods will allow drip drying, and hopefully there is an exhaust fan in the bathroom already. The base level of a plastic stackable shelf would work along one wall as a grate to keep the tanks off the floor (so as not to trap water.

Just some ideas.

Respectfully,

James

Nice ideas @James79 .. a floor drain was a consideration when I was leaning towards it being more of a wash/drying room. But I think I'll get better use out of it being a storage room / repair bench, and keep washing the big stuff outside.

As far as a large wash trough, you could put one on the outside wall, with the water and drain connected under the inside sink. A counter beside it would be a plus.

Don't forget you have room for storage above the counter inside, which isn't on your plans, yet.

How big a problem is humidity in Melbourne? Storing gear hanging in open air is worth considering in damp climates. Turning your expensive regulator into a fungus farm is a bummer. As a general rule, you want dive lockers to be well ventilated, cool, dark (no UV), dry, and free of hydrocarbon and combustion contaminants — which makes garages a poor choice.

I personally find peg board a PITA because the hooks pull out when you aren't careful about taking gear off. Also, most peg boards don't hold up well if they get wet from dripping gear. The simple solution is probably the cheapest; painted plywood that is thick enough to hold a screw or hook.

Humidity is not generally a big problem. Summers are mostly a dry heat, winters can get quite misty and dewey. I doubt it'll be a problem, especially if I'm not going to leaving wet neoprene to dry in there.

@Akimbo I'm with you on the peg boards. Above the tanks I'll put some heavy duty hooks to hang stuff off.

@Bob DBF yep, plenty of space for hanging cupboards above the bench, and they're definitely on the cards!

Some more time today spent in that confined space :)
Making good use of dive weights to keep the sink in place while the silcone dries.
Add some tiles, a couple of hanging cupboards, a tank rack, and some hooks and my dive gear is ready to move in!

divelocker3.png

Wow you really have started, magnificent, a laundry trough with single door is what I use for everything

You've got plenty of room

How about you hinge the door outwards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom