Small Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Micheal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was watching GUE Instructor Dorota Czerny on YouTube and she talked about using a small backplate. I been searching the net and can not seem to find these small backplates.

Does anyone know what I can find some?

Could also make one... numerous patterns floating around the interwebs.

Thanks all.

While I have you all here, is there a rating on Nylon Webbing? Ebay has few sellers, with lots of different colors. Going to be working with a boy/girls scout troop, and thinking of putting them all in a different color, to make them feel special. Just looking for new idea to get and keep kids and people interested.

Thanks all.

While I have you all here, is there a rating on Nylon Webbing? Ebay has few sellers, with lots of different colors. Going to be working with a boy/girls scout troop, and thinking of putting them all in a different color, to make them feel special. Just looking for new idea to get and keep kids and people interested.

This is part of what I do for a living as a textile engineer, so it's not random BS.
There are mil-spec standards for many types of webbing. Standard 2" nylon webbing we use for scuba will have a tensile strength of roughly 4500lbs. This will depend on the quality of the nylon, how well it has been impregnated with the resin, etc etc. but generally speaking it's around 2 tonnes. Any of the cheaper stuff will be more than strong enough.
That said, the cheaper stuff will not have the same color fastness. Nylon breaks down rapidly in chlorine and sunlight, and the cheaper webbings will typically fade quite a bit faster.
If it's too flimsy, it will curl when under tension and becomes very uncomfortable to wear which is why we use the stiffened webbing instead of say seatbelt webbing.
It may not have the same abrasion resistance either which will determine longevity if you are adjusting it regularly.

Most of this doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things for our application, but if you are doing a lot of work in pools or the gear spends a lot of time in the sun, you should try to find stiffened polyester webbing which will not break down nearly as rapidly.

This is part of what I do for a living as a textile engineer, so it's not random BS.
There are mil-spec standards for many types of webbing. Standard 2" nylon webbing we use for scuba will have a tensile strength of roughly 4500lbs. This will depend on the quality of the nylon, how well it has been impregnated with the resin, etc etc. but generally speaking it's around 2 tonnes. Any of the cheaper stuff will be more than strong enough.
That said, the cheaper stuff will not have the same color fastness. Nylon breaks down rapidly in chlorine and sunlight, and the cheaper webbings will typically fade quite a bit faster.
If it's too flimsy, it will curl when under tension and becomes very uncomfortable to wear which is why we use the stiffened webbing instead of say seatbelt webbing.
It may not have the same abrasion resistance either which will determine longevity if you are adjusting it regularly.

Most of this doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things for our application, but if you are doing a lot of work in pools or the gear spends a lot of time in the sun, you should try to find stiffened polyester webbing which will not break down nearly as rapidly.

More Great information. Thank you.....

So I see weebing out there at 6000, 12,000 lbs and higher. Would you think the 6000 lbs be to stiff and uncomfortable for diving?

I’d also check NESS to see if they have any remaining small Oxycheq plates. They picked up a slew of blemished ones and are selling them for $69

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom