SM reg set recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_steve21

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
stuck trying to figure out what regulators i wanna go with for sidemount. plan on this summer getting drysuit certified and taking the sdi sidemount course. but can't decide on what regs I want, I currently have a mares 52x iv thought about converting it to din and getting another one but the other side of me wants to just get a whole new setup but I don't wanna break the bank In the process cause ill be buying a drysuit also. right now my considerations are:

Convert my current 52x to din and Get another 52x
HOG D3-not sure how I feel about the hog regs iv not been able to find alot of info within the past year
Atomic M1s-more expensive but from but iv read their great regs
Dive rite XT-same thing as the hog reg, not found alot of info on them
Mares 28xr-locally serviceable, but can't find much info and reviews on them

I'm open to other suggestions to, i really like the xtx50s but I'm not willing to spend 2k for a entire SM setup would like to keep it in the 1500 and below range

I’ve been diving SM exclusively for two years. Hose routing is much nicer with rotating turret and fifth port. I have Apeks XTX50/DST. Have Dive Rite for spares. Can’t really tell the difference much from my Apeks. Lots of folks I know use the DR. Cave diving, Great Lakes wreck diving, ice diving. They’re pretty bullet proof. And affordable. You can pick up the SM set for $939 from DGX. If I didn’t already have the Apeks, I’d use the DR as my primary.

There’s always Deep6, which is a SB fan favorite, if you’re into servicing your own.

I’ve been diving SM exclusively for two years. Hose routing is much nicer with rotating turret and fifth port. I have Apeks XTX50/DST. Have Dive Rite for spares. Can’t really tell the difference much from my Apeks. Lots of folks I know use the DR. Cave diving, Great Lakes wreck diving, ice diving. They’re pretty bullet proof. And affordable. You can pick up the SM set for $939 from DGX. If I didn’t already have the Apeks, I’d use the DR as my primary.

There’s always Deep6, which is a SB fan favorite, if you’re into servicing your own.
Remember when you were going to quit diving?

The HOG D3's have been around for a number of years and are a proven design and performer. They are self serviceable and I have sold a number of them over the years. I also use them myself. Parts are easily available and I do a lot of mail order service on them when needed for customer around the world. Literally thanks to USPS flat rate to APO's and FPO's for military members.
They are also less expensive than MARES or Apeks.
Dive Rite is a brand that is known for quality and well recognized in the tech diving community for decades. I have not seen any MARES sidemount setups in the 10 years I've been teaching SM. Your MARES 52x does not have a swivel turret and while it could be used, hose routing will be a challenge (nice way of saying suck). I don't care for the sharp points on the 28xr HP ports.
The HOG D3 was specifically designed for sidemount diving and the change to HP ports being perpendicular to the body from slightly angled, makes for better SPG hose routing.
I would also ask, what sidemount BC are you planning to buy? I would recommend getting that before a drysuit. You should also talk to your potential SM instructor and get their recommendations on the BC and hopefully they have experience with several of them. Not just one.
BTW I was one of the editors and a technical contributor to the SDI/TDI sidemount manual and course.

I dive SM more than anything else, and I've owned two of the four regulators you mentioned -- HOG D3 and Atomic M1 -- and have used the Dive Rite XT.

The HOG D3 regs were pretty good, and I liked them when I still had them. The price was right, they breathed well, and the turret/port layout was great for SM. The downside of the D3 is an unfortunate tendency for the DIN post o-ring to pop out (I understand it was a manufacturing problem; the chrome coat inside the o-ring's cavity was too thick), but otherwise, they worked well.

If you're seriously considering the HOG D3, I recommend first asking a service tech who has experience with the newer builds; the o-ring problem may have been fixed. Also, I'd also avoid buying used HOG regs just to make sure you don't buy somebody else's o-ring problem. Or you could just get a packet of DIN o-rings and be prepared to replace them at random intervals.

The Atomic M1s are workhorses. I've not used mine for SM -- they're my BM doubles setup -- but I'd not hesitate to use them for SM. Atomic regs breathe a tad aggressively -- you'll get a strong flow of air down your hatch-- but really, I have zero complaints about them other than the up-front cost. The only caveat is to make sure you don't get Atomic's proprietary swivel on the 2nd stage (and I dunno if they even offer the swivel on the M1).

The Dive Rite XT have good reputations. My dive buddy (who also dives SM pretty much exclusively) had a pair of these, and I tried 'em...but didn't like 'em. No particular reason. They just didn't feel quite right to me. YMMV. My buddy eventually switched to Deep 6, which he quite likes.

If you're looking for other suggestions, I use Scubapro Mk25 Evo + G260 as my primary SM regs. The first stage has a swivel turret, they're cheaper than the Atomics, and they deliver great breathing performance. Unless you absolutely NEED a sealed regulator because you're either diving really, really cruddy water or in the super-cold, they'll work well. And Mk25 first stages come up for sale used every now and then, so you can maybe get yourself a set on the cheap.

The HOG D3's have been around for a number of years and are a proven design and performer. They are self serviceable and I have sold a number of them over the years. I also use them myself. Parts are easily available and I do a lot of mail order service on them when needed for customer around the world. Literally thanks to USPS flat rate to APO's and FPO's for military members.
They are also less expensive than MARES or Apeks.
Dive Rite is a brand that is known for quality and well recognized in the tech diving community for decades. I have not seen any MARES sidemount setups in the 10 years I've been teaching SM. Your MARES 52x does not have a swivel turret and while it could be used, hose routing will be a challenge (nice way of saying suck). I don't care for the sharp points on the 28xr HP ports.
The HOG D3 was specifically designed for sidemount diving and the change to HP ports being perpendicular to the body from slightly angled, makes for better SPG hose routing.
I would also ask, what sidemount BC are you planning to buy? I would recommend getting that before a drysuit. You should also talk to your potential SM instructor and get their recommendations on the BC and hopefully they have experience with several of them. Not just one.
BTW I was one of the editors and a technical contributor to the SDI/TDI sidemount manual and course.
Im pretty dead set on the xdeep wing set and also my potential instructor also uses it and recommends it

i really like the xtx50s but I'm not willing to spend 2k for a entire SM setup would like to keep it in the 1500 and below range

I have Apeks XTX50/DST.

My vote is for these. Love them own about a dozen of them now. Next vote would be for MK250/G260

Yes if your US based then pricing for Apeks stuff is kind of crazy for some reason. I buy all my gear used and cant say I have paid more than USD $300 for a DST/XTX50 combo.

If price is your main issue then my vote would be Deep 6

stuck trying to figure out what regulators i wanna go with for sidemount. plan on this summer getting drysuit certified and taking the sdi sidemount course. but can't decide on what regs I want, I currently have a mares 52x iv thought about converting it to din and getting another one but the other side of me wants to just get a whole new setup but I don't wanna break the bank In the process cause ill be buying a drysuit also. right now my considerations are:

Convert my current 52x to din and Get another 52x
HOG D3-not sure how I feel about the hog regs iv not been able to find alot of info within the past year
Atomic M1s-more expensive but from but iv read their great regs
Dive rite XT-same thing as the hog reg, not found alot of info on them
Mares 28xr-locally serviceable, but can't find much info and reviews on them

I'm open to other suggestions to, i really like the xtx50s but I'm not willing to spend 2k for a entire SM setup would like to keep it in the 1500 and below range
don't rule out the Deep6 Signature. It's an evolution of the HOG D3/Zenith design with higher quality soft parts and a much better finish. Combine that with the first service being included in purchase price and it's a great deal. I have 7 sets of them right now, they're the real deal.

I currently have a mares 52x iv thought about converting it to din and getting another one

The Mares 82x has a rotating turret. I use two 22x without rotating turret. For a while I thought about replacing them, but then I found a swivel adapter for the 1st stage that helped a lot with keeping the drysuit inflator hose short and straight. So now I'm not looking for a rotating turret anymore.

The Mares 82x has a rotating turret. I use two 22x without rotating turret. For a while I thought about replacing them, but then I found a swivel adapter for the 1st stage that helped a lot with keeping the drysuit inflator hose short and straight. So now I'm not looking for a rotating turret anymore.
the rotating turret has a distinct advantage for sidemount diving and even in twinsets/doubles where during a long hose deployment it will allow the hose to rotate towards the diver in front of you which increases the effective length of the hose as well as minimize risk of kinking.

Back
Top Bottom