Slr??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTT

Registered
Reaction score
Do many people here use an SLR camera? I have a Canon Elan 7 and am an avid photographer top side. Now that I am certified I want to start some underwater photography. Do many people use SLRs under water? Where can I find a housing? Also what kind of techniques in regards to shutter speeds, and f-stops will have to change under water? Speed of film?

Thank you everyone!

cheers

Tommy

many use SLRs underwater.
check ikelite.com for a housing.
the basic rules of photography apply, add this one - when yopu think you're close enough, get closer.
same film speeds you'd use for a given light on the surface.

once your bouyancy skills are good you can get away with 1 stop less shutter hand held than on the surface.

tons of people use SLRs underwater. they are the ultimate for quality if you do things right.

I would add to James' comments that most people use slide flim underwater because of its saturation. You also need a flash if you want more colors than blue (maybe you just want a monochromatic image). James would tell you that you would want to use filters as well though most people don't use filters u/w. B&W is another UW option.

I use an Elan IIe underwater with an EWA Marine hosuing. You can also look at Subal housings.

UW you generally want wide angle lenses (14-35mm) unless you are doing macro.

Hi there James and Avatar, thank you very much for your replys.

Just a few questions, for using regular film, what speed do you guys use? Also, I am not very familiar with slide film..does it develop the same?

Avatar that is the same camera I have, the Canon elan IIe How do you like your housing? What size lense would you want for macro? Also, I assume you can't chage lenses under water to go from macro to non macro....?

thanks guys!

Tommy

slide film is a different prosses than print.
you are correct - you can't change lenses under water( but than neither can a nikonos) but a short range zoom gives a lot of flexability. if you are 'really' taking photographs as instead of snapshots that doesn't matter - you shoot the subjects that fit lens you have then come back with a different lens for the other stuff .
one thing we both left out is lens lenght - anything over ~ 80mm is pretty much useless under water ( the exception is in macro work were a 1/1 105mm is a good lens). the problem is a lens has to fit the port you use.

My experience with SLRs u/w

I've been using a Nikon N90S in an Ikelite SLR housing for 4 years now. The 60mm and 105mm are great macro lenses. The 20mm is wonderful for wide-angle and has a field of view equivilent to a very-expensive 15mm Nikonos amphibious lens. That's a big advantage of using top-side lenses in housings with dome ports.

I also have a 28-105mm zoom lens that allows flexibility of shooting a range of medium-wide-angle and macro on the same dive. The short coming of this lense on the macro end is it can't do 1:1 reproductions like the 60mm and 105mm lenses can.

I'm happy with all the control over the camera's functions you get using the Ikelite housing. The drawback is you need a separate port for each of the lenses mentioned above.

I use Fuji slide film ranging from Provia 100F to Velvia. 100 ISO is the only speed film I use underwater.

Regards,

Brian

TTT once bubbled...
Hi there James and Avatar, thank you very much for your replys.

Just a few questions, for using regular film, what speed do you guys use? Also, I am not very familiar with slide film..does it develop the same?

Avatar that is the same camera I have, the Canon elan IIe How do you like your housing? What size lense would you want for macro? Also, I assume you can't chage lenses under water to go from macro to non macro....?

thanks guys!

Tommy

I use a Canon 17-35mm f/2.8 for underwater and a 105mm 1:1 Sigma macro.

My EWA Marine housing is basically a bullet proof plastic bag :p
It works. It is cheap. It is goot at preventing flooding even if it were to have a hole. Unfortunately it can cause bouyancy problems and controls can sometimes be hard to work through it. You also will have trouble using a strobe that doesnt fit to the your hotshoe with it. I used a 550EX to great effect.

If I was going to use a regular color print film underwater, I would use Agfa Ultra 100 because it has fine grain and super saturated color.

Back
Top Bottom