Slow strobe fires with rx100?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jf3193

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve been reading into the rx100 series to purchase and one of the “ cons” Im reading is that it has a slow flash recharge time (up to 4 seconds).
Is there anyway to trick that into firing faster , if I had one and external strobes?
( new to photography, so I apologize if this is an easy question).
Thanks!

Dialing flash compensation down to -3 is the only adjustment that you can make. Sony onboard flashes don't have a manual mode, so you can't set it to minimum power manually. A separate trigger board would solve this problem, but it requires a hot shoe to attach to, and the only RX100 cameras with one are the old M2 model, and, oddly, the ZV-1.

Dialing flash compensation down to -3 is the only adjustment that you can make. Sony onboard flashes don't have a manual mode, so you can't set it to minimum power manually. A separate trigger board would solve this problem, but it requires a hot shoe to attach to, and the only RX100 cameras with one are the old M2 model, and, oddly, the ZV-1.
Thanks! Does this tend to be an issue with underwater photography, or not a big deal?

I have a Sony A6300 rather than an RX100, and I do have an LED trigger, but I only got it recently and most of my diving with strobes was done using the pop-up flash as trigger. Honestly, I did not find it limiting at all - I have automatic review turned on anyway, so the typical workflow is compose, shoot, review, recompose, shoot again, etc., leaving plenty of time for both the pop-up flash and the strobes to recycle. That said, I haven't had many opportunities to shoot fast-moving fish where rapid-firing strobes would give an advantage.

Does this tend to be an issue with underwater photography, or not a big deal?
For me is a big limitation when you want to capture big moving animals and for battery lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom