Sliding D Rings w/Deco and Stage Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question for side mounters using aluminum tanks and sliding d rings. I typically side mount 2 aluminum 80's with sliding d rings and, for some reason, got to wondering today if side mounters using sliding d rings and aluminum tanks clip off deco and stage tanks to the same sliding d rings being used to clip off the aluminum 80's or configure the deco/stage tanks some other way? Thanks in advance.

I use fixed d-rings and mostly steel tanks so I don't know, but it's an interesting question.

I use two fixed d-rings. I start with the side mounted tanks clipped to the rear d-rings and the stage clipped to the front d-ring. I later shift the side tanks to the front d-rings which puts them sharing with the stage d-rings.

I use sliding Ds these days. Stages and deco bottles are clipped to the drop Ds by the lumbar plate via a bungee leash. With ali side tanks your stages would hang way below otherwise. You have to get the bungee leash just the rite length for you. Donning 4 stage/deco tanks isn't too bad with this method, swimming with them is a different story.

How about clipping the deco tank off to a stationary d ring on the harness belt that is placed right next to the sliding d ring on the harness belt?

I know some clip to deco bottle to a dring close to the back and the aluminum tank in the forward position at the start. Because the clips are crossed neither tank can move for the whole dive

I know some clip to deco bottle to a dring close to the back and the aluminum tank in the forward position at the start. Because the clips are crossed neither tank can move for the whole dive

This is it, ali's end up nearly clipped to my crotch D'ring by the end of the dive. If a stage is clipped there, it will just dangle under you witch kind of defeats the purpose of sidemount.

Can someone help?
I am a certified rescue diver, working on my Dive Master and want to start diving with an alternate air source for many reasons.
I need to know what is the best setup for a 30CF bottle?
Should I use a Shark Mount?
Appreciate any inputs.
Cheers
LCL

I recently switched from sliding to multiple fixed-d-rings and refuse to look back. You can always put as many, or as few waist-d-rings as needed. However I've found that I only need 3-sets: Butt-plate or rear, side, and side-front. Use the biggest bolt-snaps you can buy to make moving the clip easier if needed.

(I also have 1 last set of d-rings right next to the front-buckle, but those are used as a temporary clip-off for accessories, not tanks.)

Can someone help?
I am a certified rescue diver, working on my Dive Master and want to start diving with an alternate air source for many reasons.
I need to know what is the best setup for a 30CF bottle?
Should I use a Shark Mount?
Appreciate any inputs.
Cheers
LCL
I'm reading between the lines here; do you dive back-mount? If yes, I highly recommend starting a new thread for this topic, as people with the appropriate knowledge are less likely to notice your comment in this thread. I'd also suggest sharing a picture of your standard rig (BCD, etc) so people can suggest things like d-ring placement, the best place to sling, where to clip the regulator, etc.

So I just clip the back gas to the sliding d-rings, and then have an adjustable bungee "leash" that runs to a fixed d-ring as far back as possible. This way, I can loosen/tighten the trim of the stage throughout the dive in accordance to my back-gas. Super useful, my tec-instructor DIYed them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom