Slide show from Hornby Island, B.C. (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was at Hornby Island last Saturday and managed to get three dives in. We didn't find the six gill sharks but I got some nice photos above and below the water.

Here is the slide show link and some sample photos.

Slide show link - 8mb

seals.jpg

octo.jpg

Very impressive.

What camera do you use above and below surface? That's a great photo of the eagle and makes me think you used a telephoto.

Bill.

Hyper-limits:
Very nice deepdiverbc.

I was a big skeptical of the whole executable slideshow, but after a few comments, I thought I'd download and give it a look. He did a nice job. I loved how the music changed for the dogfish. hahaha...

Fun.

- ChillyWaters

Lightning Fish

Below the water I use an Olympus 5050z with Ikelite housing. I haven't saved up enough for a strobe yet so I use my Light Canon for the super macro and the internal flash for the rest.

For the above water shots I used a spotting scope attached to a different digital camera. It is called digiscoping and works very well. Check out this link for one of my better shots of an eagle.
Eagle Photo

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. I only wish I had been able to find a six gill shark but the dog fish worked well with the music.

deepdiverbc:
Lightning Fish

Below the water I use an Olympus 5050z with Ikelite housing. I haven't saved up enough for a strobe yet so I use my Light Canon for the super macro and the internal flash for the rest.

For the above water shots I used a spotting scope attached to a different digital camera. It is called digiscoping and works very well. Check out this link for one of my better shots of an eagle.
Eagle Photo

Excellent photo. How far away were you? What is the focal length (or magnification) of the spotting scope?

I have 135-400 zoom and add in a doubler to get 800. I still have to be fairly close to get a decent shot. I was up at Brackendale a while back and none of my photos turned out, the biggest problem is I was still too far away from my target.

Bill.

Lightning Fish:
Excellent photo. How far away were you? What is the focal length (or magnification) of the spotting scope?

I have 135-400 zoom and add in a doubler to get 800. I still have to be fairly close to get a decent shot. I was up at Brackendale a while back and none of my photos turned out, the biggest problem is I was still too far away from my target.

Bill.

My set up uses a ATS80HD Swarovski spotting scope and a A95 Olympus Camera. The scope has a 80mm objective lense with 460mm focal length and 20-60x zoom eyepiece. Most shots are taken at 30x scope zoom or under with the camera at 2x optical zoom to act as a doubler. Zeiss and Leica also make good scopes with the best being Televue but it is a bit big.

The eagle was about 150 feet away. Here is a shot I took just with the camera showing my set up for the shot.

Eric

Eagle%2001.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom