Slide film to use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilker

Reaction score
I am new to underwater photography and to scubaboard :)

I will be having a trip to Malta at the end of March and I am thinking about the film I should use (I prefer slides)

In terms of general photography, I am an advanced amateur and normally prefer Kodak E-100 VS or Fuji Velvia.

However for underwater, I am split between Kodak E-100VS and Fuji Provia 400F.

I have a Sea & Sea MX-10 with a YS40A strobe. I know it is not the best choice for slide films but that's what I have.

I will appreciate any comments

Underwater photography for me in the last 18 years, hasn't shown me alot of change. When I started it was Kodachrome 64, then there was Velvia.
Nothing I've used can beat Velvia. One must remember that when you are taking pictures underwater, all shots will pretty much be - if you can touch it distance, then the subject is in range. The background brightness can be adjusted with stops and of course you must - bracket , bracket, bracket.:D

Caymaniac

p.s. Digital is where it's at, the future is digital. I've looked at digital SLR's but the price currently is prohibitive and one must curre3ntly also choose a camera that can be housed.:boom:

Velvia would be nice to use for u/w as well however I can not use it with my camera. It has no option for ISO 50 films. And I think it is too slow for a beginner.

I took a roll of E-100 VS u/w before and it was too blue. I thought it was because of me but seems others saw similar issues.

I think I will go for Provia 400 F

If you liked the E100-VS but thought it too blue then try the E100-S. This film has slightly less colour saturation and would be more suitable for the MX-10.

Of course it does depend on what kind of photos you are taking;
For Macro stick with the E100-VS (or S) but try the Provia 400 for wide-angle stuff.

Happy shooting!

CJ.

For MAcro stuff, Velvia is still great film. I do have problmes with it on longer distance stuff, and probably provia would be better for that and wide angle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom