Sleeping Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So I'm brand new to the boards, probably been here for 10 minutes but....
I'm in Cancun right now and heard about the cave of the sleeping sharks next-to/in Isla Mujeres. Can anyone tell me more about it? What i know is it's 60-70feet and a 2 tank dive.

Is it still as badass as I've heard? Some people say its nothing but nurse sharks now.
Also, does anyone recommend a dive shop? Preferably one ran by non-Mexican people. I definitely trust Americans and Europeans more than the locals.

Also, what other dive sites are awesome around the island? My friend just got certified and I want to show him a good time on his first dive. I've got about 15 dives myself around the Caribbean and Florida freshwater springs.

Thank you all so much!
-Cody

So I'm brand new to the boards, probably been here for 10 minutes but....
I'm in Cancun right now and heard about the cave of the sleeping sharks next-to/in Isla Mujeres. Can anyone tell me more about it? What i know is it's 60-70feet and a 2 tank dive.

Is it still as badass as I've heard? Some people say its nothing but nurse sharks now.
Also, does anyone recommend a dive shop? Preferably one ran by non-Mexican people. I definitely trust Americans and Europeans more than the locals.

Also, what other dive sites are awesome around the island? My friend just got certified and I want to show him a good time on his first dive. I've got about 15 dives myself around the Caribbean and Florida freshwater springs.

Thank you all so much!
-Cody
Look up Ben at Mayan Aqua Dive - went diving with them last summer and had a great time.
Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives & PADI Courses

Hi,

It is basically a nurse shark dive, but is great none the less. The 1st dive is usually Piedra Atraversada, which is a nice drift, then the 2nd is the reef looking for sharks.

There are great dives in and around Isla, but if your friend is newly certified I would hang around Manchones Reef for a few dives so that they get a few dives under their belts.

There is a lot to see on the reefs, and they are only 20-30 feet deep so the dives will be longer andmore enjoyable to a new diver. It will give them a chance to work on their skills while drifting with 'cudas...catch sight of some rays...

Check out my photos, several are in the Isla area. There are swim throughs on the "Dormitorio" dive and the drift at "Punta Sur" is wicked.

I am a PADI OWSI and dive with Mexicans, and Mexican organizations all the time, you should not fear them. Like anyplace else US, Canada, Europe try and recommendations from experienced divers. Also it is your responsibility to make sure your gear is in working condition

I will recommened Coral Scuba Coral Scuba Dive Center - Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico - Diving, PADI certification, snorkelingon Isla as they have the experience to make sure you and your buddy really enjoy your dives. I have dived with them for 10 years and know them to be professional and have good equipment.

The owner and staff are Mexican, but are the best around.

I wouldn't recommend the Shark Caves from Cancun as it is a long haul out into the Caribbean Sea from there, much closer from Isla.

good luck and happy diving...if you are around Isla and March 20-25 look for me...

the shark cave is a bt of a let down, you ll see a couple of nurse sharks but you can see that on any reef in cancun. want a great dive, get to the c 58, full of eagle rays and big jacks, its a cracker, shops on the isla run the trip to the wreck, its a bit of a haul but worth it.....
we re doing it tomorrow at 9am if you want to jump in, we ll pick up cancun side at the ferry....

I agree C-58 is a great dive...and there are a lot of Eagle Rays etc...but this persons buddy is on their 1st dive after their OW...

" My friend just got certified and I want to show him a good time on his first dive. "

The stats say C- 58 is 100 feet (30m), so his buddy is not certified to that depth (PADI Standard 18m/60ft)...also from diving there often, I know there could be a lot of current there for a new diver...and if the vis isn't great...Exciting...yes...challenging ...yes...but not the dive I would recommend for their first after certified...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom