Slatemine 'Felicitas' Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
2 weeks ago I went with 2 other ccr divers in an old slate mine in Germany. This mine opened for divers a couple of weeks ago. The main part of the mine is 30m deep (in winter 34), and a small part is 40-45m deep. It has a lot of chambers and tunnels to explore. We did not went in far, but did 2 90 minute dives. The watertemperature is here limiting.
The pictures are taken in the 'newer' part of the mine. The 'older' part is for a next visit.
The tunnel from surface to the 30m zone is a no viz tunnel. And really no viz. As the mine is new for diving, a lot of perculation is falling of the ceiling. A lot of silt at the bottom. Only 10 divers a day are allowed. You have to pay an entrance fee and show your insurance and certs.

felicitas.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

felicitas1.jpg

felicitas2.jpg

felicitas3.jpg

felicitas4.jpg

felicitas5.jpg

felicitas6.jpg

felicitas9.jpg

Very interesting with great wide angle photos in very clear water
You mentioned the mine was in Germany Just exactly where is the mine in Germany ?

Also how about a little history -- all of the sunken equipment appears to be rather new..

Mrs. Millers heritage is Dutch mine is German- we have a long term plan on touring Europe beginning in northern Holland and ending in southern Germany.

Sam Miller, III

It was opened in 1863 and closed in 1994. There is an old part and a newer part. The pictures are taken in the newer part. So you see the 'new' equipment.
There is now a dry part with extremely clean air for people with astma to relax.

Abela-Heilstollen – Wikipedia
use google translate for some history.

It´s in the "Sauerland" region, approximately 100km east of Cologne.
In that area are several Mines of which 4 can be dived.

Thanks for sharing the link. Nice pictures also.

59 Euros per person / day is a steep price (about $75), especially since it limits your diving to between 09:00 and 18:00. I hope that the dive here is worth it since at my age I would not do 2 dives a day at the deeper level (approx 150').

Michael
(who will certainly end up ponying up the money at least once)

All mines in this area cost about 40-59 € per day to dive. If you travel there from farther away, it might be a nice idea to spend 2-3 days and visit one of the others as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom