SL960 vs SL960d? Need some opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhhoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So its Christmas time and my sweet husband is in need of an external flash for his reefmaster mini. I have already placed an order for the Wide angle and now I am evaluating the strobes.

I realize that the SL960 hasn't been made in about 5 years but I have noticed several of them being offered for sale at a very reasonable price. About half the price of the newer model.

How big a difference is there between this older model and the new SL960d? Will picture quality suffer?

He is very entry level as far as underwater photography..so I want to get him a useful strobe and yet not break the bank if it is unnecessary.

However I sure don't want to get him something that will be disapointing to him in the long run.

Thanks so much
Lari

Hello Lari,

I hope your husband doesn't visit this thread as it won't be a surprise anymore!

The big difference between the SL960 and SL960D, both by the way which are discontinued, is that the 960 is a fixed paower output while the 960D has a variable output. What that means that you can control how much light the 960D is putting out therefore being able to get better more evenly lit pictures. The 960 is still a good strobe and for years divers have been geting fantastic shots with it by learning various tricks to get the correct lighting. Fortunately the Mini has three adjustments, Far Macro and normal flash that allow the diver to adjust the cameras sensitivity.

If it is a budget thing, the 960 would work fine and eventually he can move up but if you can work it out, the 960D or even the in line 961 would be a better option.

Hoep that helps out or if you need more info, let me know.

Joe

If it means anything I just purchased a 960. I only used it 1 day and yeah, it takes some getting used to, but it's a fine strobe.

Thanks guys for the replies.
Think I will go with theSL960 for now.
Frees up dollars to get some other things he needs.

Lari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom