SL960 on DC800?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mooner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have the older SL960 without the flash link and I am considering getting the DC800. Can I use the SL960 as is or do I need to buy a flash link adapter (I think I saw one somewhere). Is there anything else I should know regarding limitations or special camera set-up using the older strobe.

Welcome back to SB. I think you need the Flash Link to use the old Ext-Flash with even the DC500, much less the DC800, plus some retro fitting. I called their technician, who had me mail it in for his help. Very nice fellow, great work!

Thank you for the info. DandyDon. Yes, I had seen your post regarding the same issue with the DC500 and thought they might require the same solution. It sounds like Sealife is doing the mods for you, could you let me know how things go.

If any Sealife rep's have any comments I would greatly appreciate them.

...you let me know how things go.
Go? I phone, talk to the tech guy, send in the part and it's back in two weeks like new.

But I see now that we are in the Manf Reps forum, not the Owners forum. My bad for interrupting. I am sure a Sealife rep will answer you soon.

Sorry for being so late to "pipe" in.

The only thing you will need is the SL962 Flash link and the flash will work fine with the DC800.

Practice witht he flash head positioning, pointed more away from your subject to get feathering or indirect light onto your subject as this flash will fire full power all of the time. I would also recommend the Flash Diffuser, SL968 to help soften the light.

Last thing, read your manual and in particular, the part on adjusting for Far Flash and Macro Flash. these two settings will help control the lighting results.

Enjoy.
Joe

Sorry for being so late to "pipe" in.
Sorry about butting in on your forum. :blush:
The only thing you will need is the SL962 Flash link and the flash will work fine with the DC800.
I had to have some refitting done to two SL960s to fit DC500s I think?
Practice witht he flash head positioning, pointed more away from your subject to get feathering or indirect light onto your subject as this flash will fire full power all of the time. I would also recommend the Flash Diffuser, SL968 to help soften the light.
You can't adjust the flash intensity like I can on the DC500?
Last thing, read your manual and in particular, the part on adjusting for Far Flash and Macro Flash. these two settings will help control the lighting results.

Enjoy.
Joe
thanks!

Sorry about butting in on your forum. :blush:I had to have some refitting done to two SL960s to fit DC500s I think?You can't adjust the flash intensity like I can on the DC500?
thanks!
Hello Don,

You really shouldn't have had to do anything to get two strobes on the DC500. The trays stack and you need Flash Links and the longer screw to hold them together.

It's not hte flash intensity you adjust when using the SL960's but the cameras sensativity/aperature, to allow more or less light to reach the CCD.

Joe, thank you for the information. It is what I thought but wanted to make sure from the expert.

Now of course I have another dilemma! Should I wait for the DC1000 to come out. I have a week in Bonaire May 9th so I do have a little time to wait. Joe, do you have any details (differences between DC800) besides the megapixel increase?

Dandy Don, please feel free to ask any questions you have on this thread as they are a help to me. I hope to run into you one of these days to thank you for all of your helpful post on Scubaboard. I see you will soon be in Cozumel soon; enjoy, I know I have and will again June 19th - 29th @ Blue Angel.

Hello Don,

You really shouldn't have had to do anything to get two strobes on the DC500. The trays stack and you need Flash Links and the longer screw to hold them together.
No, it was two different DC500s with respective SL960s - altho they may have been different models. One has a screw on back, one a clamp on. I don't remember what we did to the clamp on to make it fit to the DC500; my LDS handled that. For the one with the screw on back, we had to send it in as the reflector was in the way. Is Karl your tech guy's name? He was great.
It's not hte flash intensity you adjust when using the SL960's but the cameras sensativity/aperature, to allow more or less light to reach the CCD.
Ah, sounds reasonable. Does the DC800 have that? Probly not, as it's designed to work with the Digital Flash isn't it?
Joe, thank you for the information. It is what I thought but wanted to make sure from the expert.

Now of course I have another dilemma! Should I wait for the DC1000 to come out. I have a week in Bonaire May 9th so I do have a little time to wait. Joe, do you have any details (differences between DC800) besides the megapixel increase?
A DC1000 is planned for release? As fast as point & shoot cameras are jumping to large MPs in under $200 even for Canons, it'd be nice to see an economical 12 mp Sealife. I'm sure it's not so simple
Dandy Don, please feel free to ask any questions you have on this thread as they are a help to me. I hope to run into you one of these days to thank you for all of your helpful post on Scubaboard. I see you will soon be in Cozumel soon; enjoy, I know I have and will again June 19th - 29th @ Blue Angel.
Thanks! Like to meet you too. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom