SL2 Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mapman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just bought canon sl2 with the 18-55 STM and Ikelite housing with dome.
I would like some advice on macro lens choices. The 60mm will work well with the flat port from what i have read, but the 100m seems to be a better lens but then an additional extension is required and $$$. Seems to me the 60mm makes more sense.
Another question would be is the 60 mm and flat port usefull as general photography as well as macro?
Thanks in advance

I have shot both on my old Rebel. The 60 is an awesome lens and a tad bit more versatile. You can do fish profile shots with it and those are harder with the additional reach of the 100. You will be too far away to light it well in many cases. I was never really in love with the 100 on the Rebel. I think I would have been happier with the 60 and a diopter of some kind for super macro. I sold the 60 to my SIL who does not dive but wanted a macro lens. I now shoot the 100L exclusively for macro but that is on a full frame 5d4 which needs the additional reach. I do use an SMC on it which allows for some really cool stuff but has a steep learning curve. I will say that I got a lot of keepers with kit lens and the versatility is exceptional. I once flooded my system (don't ask) and it nuked my Tokina 10-17 and one of my Rebel bodies which I had a second of as they are so cheap. I was shooting sharks primarily and the kit lens did a great job on the wide end. It was nice if the sharks weren't being social I could go do more macro like stuff with the long end while just turning a knob.

Thanks Darook, I also like the kit lense but I want to improve my closeup and macro. All but decided on the 60mm. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom