Skydiver wanting to turn to Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't done as many skydives as I have scuba dives - only around 1000 - but I certainly don't think scuba offers the same type of thrills as does skydiving. If you're REALLY after an adrenalin rush, try doing some of your early scuba dives on the Protea Banks, mixing it with the great whites.

I did a handful of static line jumps from 3,000 ft way, way, way back. The couple seconds between leaving the door of the plane and feeling the chute open were the most terrifying of my life, at least on the first jump. I've had many crotch rockets over the years and whacking open the throttle at 55 and hitting over 100 in about 3 seconds is a pretty good rush, too, but I don't think it compares to the skydiving thing. I don't get a rush from diving, though-it's really the opposite. I find incredibly relaxing (assuming nothing goes wrong-I haven't had a life threatening experience yet, knock wood) and I feel euphoric after I finish. Now that just might be the result of the gas, I don't know...

When the door opens and the rush of air and noise overtake your senses (not even looking outside at this time) will even get ones Epirephrine going. The ole fight or flight senses are taken very literally here.....lol

You can still get that adrenaline rush that you might be craving. Simply disregard your air remaining reading on your console some time while diving. It will be great fun. Enjoy!

My ex's brother is a self-confessed "adrenaline junky". As a youth, he and his buddies got in trouble with the law for jumping off the Melbourne (Florida) causeway bridge into the Indian River, and despite his parents' warnings, he would run and jump off the corner of their two-story house into the pool (which was a good five feet out from the wall at the closest!).

He got into diving for awhile, always trying to go deeper, pushing his air reserves, etc. But the fact is, diving just did not have the adrenaline "oomph" he was seeking, so he gave that up.

Nowadays, his main hobby is skydiving and BASE jumping. These have satisfied his adrenaline urges for going on a decade now with no end in sight.

I know that's just one secondhand anecdotal experience, but having known him, and knowing what diving is like for me (more of a zen thing than an adrenaline thing), I would say to an adrenaline junky: Learn to dive, and enjoy it for what it is, but don't expect SCUBA to satisfy that need for raw adrenaline.

To be honest I am not expecting to get the rush I got from skydiving out of scuba diving. Its more a thing of I need something to do on weekends and I think scuba diving will fulfill that need. If I want a full on adrenaline rush I will jump out of a plane as I simply know there is few things that can compare to it thats why I wont quit skydiving completely

Ruaanfs,

I'd take it easy with the shoulder and diving. In diving you will have to lug relatively heavy equipment and have to climb in and out of pools, boats, etc. and that will put a load on your shoulder. It is best to check with your doctor or with a doctor who knows more about diving.

The thing is I dont have a problem carrying heavy equipment or pull myself out with the bad shoulder. I can still support my own body weight with the bad shoulder. The problem is the strange position that I need to put my arms in to do different kinds of maneuvers whilst free falling puts every part of my body under pressure and the sheer force of the air passing by at 140mph is enough to dislocate my shoulder. Thats why I say I need to do something thats a little less harsh on my body.
As for the doctor well if he says I'll be fit for skydiving again I am sure I will be fit for scuba :wink:

Most of my Scuba Diving experiences have been relaxing. I found in my younger days the biggest rush I could get was attempting a rock climb that was at the hardest grade I could do, on a good day when I was climbing well it was exhilarating on a bad day when I wasn't climbing well and was on the edge of falling off it was bloody terrifying.

Last edited:
And BTW, I do enjoy reading your thoughtful posts at DZ.com
:blush: Well thanks; if you post***** enough you can get good at anything :D

hmmm -- interesting -- I hadn't encountered the asterisker before. Guess I'd better figure out a different word for posting too much :no:

Wendy P.

Go for it!

I am an old adrenaline junkie and fell in love with scuba over 20 yrs ago. I used to skydive, rock climb and free climb up to 80 ft, professionally road raced bikes and cars, been to 180mph on 2 wheels and partaken in several other adrenaline sports over the last 3 decades. Scuba offers to me both a rush and relaxation in mind, body and spirit.

Go for it!

My favorite "rush" was flying a 600 m.p.h. at tree-top level through the mountains. But I don't do that anymore because it's also frightening at the same time. Used to free solo 1,000 foot cliffs but gave that up too.

Scuba doesn't give me a "rush," it's just fun.

Back
Top Bottom