Skins for very warm water diving / under a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm thinking about purchasing a dive skin. I already have a 3 mm wetsuit. I live in Japan and most of my diving is in southeast asia; this winter I'll be doing a liveaboard in Thailand followed up by doing some diving in Sri Lanka. I figure when the water is ~29C, wearing a full 3 mm wetsuit probably isn't necessary, and if I don't wear it, 1.) I have less to bring with me travelling, 2.) I need less weight when diving which might make diving a bit easier, 3.) It acts as sun protection, as I'm very careful now about not getting sunburned. Also, I figure if I buy a dive skin, I can wear it under my wetsuit to aid in donning/doffing in the future.

I was looking for some feedback if anyone has used a skin for this purpose. One "problem" is that I'm not a standard fit; I wear a henderson Large Short wetsuit, and it fits great, but I'm worried a standard large would be too long (I'm 5'7" 200 lbs about; 169 cm 92 kg). The suits I looked at were as fallows:

Henderson Hot Skins Henderson Camo Lycra Hot Skin Full Suit

Henderson Polyolefin Jumpsuit Henderson Polyolefin Jumpsuit with Spine Pad Unisex

Fourth Element Hydroskin Fourth Element Hydroskin Men's One Piece Full Suit

Waterproof Men's Sport Skin Waterproof Men's Sport Skin

Also, I was thinking that I could pick up a 3 mm vest to wear over this, as "padding" for my BP/W setup. Do you think this is necessary?

Thanks for the advice! I'll be travelling back to the US at the end of the month and was hoping to make the purchase then. Living in Japan, it's hard to get regular clothes that fit, let alone wetsuits....

Any of the Henderson Lycra skins are VERY stretchy. Easily conforms to non standard shapes and sizes. The polyolefin is less so. That one is like thin fleece, actually providing some thermal layering, about comparable to 1mm neoprene, but no bouyancy.

Can’t speak to the other two.

Most locals and long-time divers in Thailand just wear board shorts and a rashguard.

Any all-synthetic sports T-shirt works as a rashguard as well. Separates like that are easier to don and doff, cheaper, more comfortable topside, and last longer. But if you want to wear it under a wetsuit, then a dive skin (jumpsuit) makes sense. Or don't want any tan on your legs.

You don't need a vest under BP/W, a shirt is sufficient padding. Unless your webbing is really stiff, or your skin really sensitive.

I use Sharkskin/Lavacore products (they're all the same)

They are neutrally buoyant, and although they claim 2.5mm thermal protection, I'd say its less.

These products are breathable (unlike a rash guard) wind proof and drip dry on you quickly.

I am happy the wear them under my wetsuits and keep them on all day in all but the hottest months here in the Middle East.

They do stretch over time (mine last about 4 years/400 dives) and if you're wearing them a lot you need to take them in the shower with you as they do absorb skin oils. On a LoB I wash mine at least every 2 days.

+1 for Lavacore.
I use a Lavacore vest beneath a rashguard for tropical diving and beneath my 5mm wetsuit for cooler waters for added warmth. It's very comfy!
I do have a long sleeved Lavacore top but haven't used it yet. I thought it might be good beneath my wetsuit and help with donning, but it actually makes it harder.
I would just stick to a vest.
I've just bought a Lavacore hood for my upcoming trip to the Red Sea as I don't like neoprene hoods - I hope it works out better.

Btw, I wear ONeill Thermo X shorts beneath board shorts or wetsuit. They’re really nice! I'm not sure it's worth forking out extra for Lavacore/Sharkskin/FE Thermocline shorts...

https://www.makospearguns.com/Dive-Skin-Rashguard-3-Piece-Package-p/mdsr3p.htm

MDSR3P-2T.jpg

I've used skins for a few years now. Most of mine are inexpensive ones like the neosport that cost about $35 at local shops. That's what you see in my profile photo there.

In warm water I wear the skin over a pair of swim trunks. In colder water I wear the skin over the trunks and under a wetsuit.

I've learned that unlike a wetsuit, I don't want the skin to be super tight. That's actually why I have several, as I tried different sizes. This is contrary to the recommendations of folks at the dive shops, but in my personal experience I prefer a skin that's a size or two "too big". Super easy to don/doff and I can't feel the material "bunching up" like they say it will underneath a wetsuit. Maybe it does, but it's very soft material and not the least bit uncomfortable to me. I wash mine in a regular machine and dry it in a regular dryer with a fabric softener dryer sheet, too.

The skin doesn't provide any warmth when worn without a wetsuit. It just protects from inadvertent contact with the environment (jellyfish, etc).

When worn under a wetsuit, it makes the wetsuit much easier to don/doff.

I think you should try it. They're inexpensive and useful.

Hi All,

I'm thinking about purchasing a dive skin. I already have a 3 mm wetsuit. I live in Japan and most of my diving is in southeast asia; this winter I'll be doing a liveaboard in Thailand followed up by doing some diving in Sri Lanka. I figure when the water is ~29C, wearing a full 3 mm wetsuit probably isn't necessary, and if I don't wear it, 1.) I have less to bring with me travelling, 2.) I need less weight when diving which might make diving a bit easier, 3.) It acts as sun protection, as I'm very careful now about not getting sunburned. Also, I figure if I buy a dive skin, I can wear it under my wetsuit to aid in donning/doffing in the future.

I was looking for some feedback if anyone has used a skin for this purpose. One "problem" is that I'm not a standard fit; I wear a henderson Large Short wetsuit, and it fits great, but I'm worried a standard large would be too long (I'm 5'7" 200 lbs about; 169 cm 92 kg). The suits I looked at were as fallows:

Henderson Hot Skins Henderson Camo Lycra Hot Skin Full Suit

Henderson Polyolefin Jumpsuit Henderson Polyolefin Jumpsuit with Spine Pad Unisex

Fourth Element Hydroskin Fourth Element Hydroskin Men's One Piece Full Suit

Waterproof Men's Sport Skin Waterproof Men's Sport Skin

Also, I was thinking that I could pick up a 3 mm vest to wear over this, as "padding" for my BP/W setup. Do you think this is necessary?

Thanks for the advice! I'll be travelling back to the US at the end of the month and was hoping to make the purchase then. Living in Japan, it's hard to get regular clothes that fit, let alone wetsuits....

I use Sharkskin in the warm waters. I consider them the sweatpants of diving gear. And in cold waters, I will still wear the under armor / sharkskin under my wet / dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom