Skin Diver Magazine 1969

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalRich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Where were you 50 years ago? I was probably watching Mike Nelson on Sea Hunt. Why did I wait so long to start diving. To be continued:...

Attachments

• 20190106_083518.jpg
    20190106_083518.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 78
I know where I was: Watching episodes of Flipper on AFRTS overseas. :) I think that show along with Sea Hunt got me hooked to diving when I grew up more.

I have that issue of Skin Diver... seriously worn and tired, but I have it. @Sam Miller III probably has one or more that is mint.

I was probably watching Mike Nelson on Sea Hunt.

Was somebody running Sea Hunt reruns in 1969???

I was a senior in high school trying to figure out how to get assigned to the US Navy Sealab program. Damn if that fantasy didn't come true, with a considerable help from my friends.

I gave Lloyd Bridges, my boyhood hero, a tour of the deep dive system built for Sealab III a few years after that. It's funny how life works out. See: Seahunt TV show last episode aired 50 years ago today!, Post #6

50 years ago? I was watching I Dream of Genie......must have been the cold showers that got me hooked on diving:daydream:

1969? I first used SCUBA in 1962 but that year I moved to Catalina Island and began ocean diving. My biology lab was by the ocean and I could see the pinnacle rock ("Mike Nelson Rock") that was seen in the credits at the end of Sea Hunt episodes.

@SoCalRich
Where were you 50 years ago? I was probably watching Mike Nelson on Sea Hunt. Why did I wait so long to start diving. To be continued:...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@SoCalRich
FYI --Sea Hunt went off the air in 1961

Yes @Akimbo I have one of the very few complete very rare sets of Skin Diver Magazines- from December 1951 to its untimely demise . All mint all in library bindings-- also bound with the magazine are all the associated diving catalogs, International UW film festivals and a few articles about me or authored by me, It is the only document of its kind in existence, highly valued and keep under lock a key with very restricted access

I also have 13 other very vintage long forgotten dive related publications from the 1950s and 1960s bound as a part of my library. all very rare and valuable as a historical dive research asset

The SDM you have or displayed is the last of the special UW Photo issues -- very informative and certainly very collectable. I had all of the special SDM UW photo issues in a special binder which were stolen from me.

The cover was photographed by the late great Jack Mc Kinney. Jacks widow, Pat married the late Al Tillman. After Al passed on she moved locally to be with her son John. John followed in his fathers fin prints and became a professional UW photographer -- for a while --Some years ago he became a respected local deputy sheriff. I see him on occasion, but my son Dr. Sam IV is Director of the local regional hospital ER sees John often when he brings in bad guys to be patched up.
The early SoCal diving community was small and the second generation carries on the long term relationships.

1969 was a good year for me.
After 5 children in five years to the day Mrs. Miller and I were out of the child business.

In 1969 I was voted and honored as the "LA Co Outstanding Underwater Instructor of the year." At that time LA Co was larger than NAUI and PADI was several years in the future and about 15 years before it was recognized as a force in diving . It was and still is a great honor to have been selected by my LA Co UW instructor peers for such a great honor

All the manufactures piled equipment on me including a one of a kind Gold plated inscribed US Divers royal Aquamaster- which is currently setting on a shelf in front of me

<<<< Several years earlier in 1963 I was honored with "Outstanding Contributions to UW Instruction" I created a Diver & Instructor rating system. It was rejected by LA Co and NAUI-- when a candidate completed their courses the were prepared to dive It was accepted by PADI in 1980s as a step marketing instruction and to create a financially driven programs- creating Supper duper instructors with all sorts of titles--Now the concept I proposed in 1963 has spread from PADI to most instructor certifying agencies.
You can now trace and blame all the current nonsense on me and my 1963 (56 years ago) Diver/ Instructor proposal

From that simple proposal we developed the concept of the three month long LA Co Advanced Diver Program (ADP) which became a reality in 1967 (52 years ago) and is still active >>>>

50 years ago in December 1969 I along with several other NAUI instructors were selected to fly to Downers Grove Illinois to monitor a proposed NAUI UW instructor course. The weather turned very bad and Meigs field, the only air port serving greater Chicago at that time was closed . Al Tillman, the leader of the group cancelled the trip with the understanding that we would travel east when the weather was better.'

I keep my airline tickets in anticipation that we would fly back in the summer - I chatted with Al who said that the course was conducted in a raging snow storm and he was working out the details for NAUI certification -- which never happened - John Cronin, Ralph Erickson and Bob Chow had created another citification agency which would be "Professional" and became known in corporate America and the world as PADI.

I carried the Chicago air line tickets in my brief case for several months. Finally I dropped in at Bay Travel, as per usual Ken Seybold was off diving but I recall asking the travel clerk, "Coraleee Marical" what I should do with the tickets ? She was astonished that I had them -- Bay travel had issued then with absolutely no names- no traceability .. I was the last to turn in the tickets ( @Scuba Lawyer note)

And my best friend the late Ron Merker certified our own @drbill as an LA Co diver--Since we often team taught I have o questioned why I didn't also certifiy DrBill as NAUI? we also certified Clive Clusser - Ron gave him a LA Co certification I certified him as a NAUI diver

And that was the way is was...1969 -- 50 years ago

Sam Miller, 111

CC
@Basking Ridge Diver ….Pro 5000
@Trace Malinowski ….Pro 5000
@boulder john FYI
@Doc --" who was PADI before PADI" - what ever that means ????

@JamesBon92007 I also like the taste of Nitrogen in the morning

That particular issue looks familiar. In addition to reading SDM, I was also getting certified that year! I'm trying to decide where to dive on my anniversary in August. Maybe the Sea of Cortez.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom