Sizing on Bare Wetsuits L/S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw a good deal on a bare 7mm wetsuit online. The only problem is the bare website has pretty specific sizing for each one. Has anyone had any experience with what size a L/S would fit? I am 5'9 and 215 lbs. Seeing if anyone my size could fit into this wetsuit comfortably. Does anyone know how old this wetsuit is and if it looks okay? I know it only has one photo.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 10.06.20 PM.jpg

You would really need to try on a wetsuit to make sure it fits. Even with specific measurements, you may not like the way it feels/fits, how flexible it is, etc. Every brand sizes a little differently. As they get older, they get a little stiffer too, affecting the fit. Hopefully you're able to try it on before you decide whether to keep it. Good luck! :)

I doubt it. The size chart has been very accurate in my experience across 4 sizes & 3 divers, and it appears you are spot on for an XL/S. The most relevant data point I can offer: similar to you, I am spot on for an XL, but there's no way I could use an L. Best of luck in your search!

Thanks for the replies, I think i may have to just buy locally....which will cost a lot more:(

Long time Bare user. I am about your height, but you are heavier than I by a good 25#, and a large short was too tight for me in a 5 mm. 7 mm would have been even worse. I think you will need a XL Short. However, as others have said, you need to try on. Bare's sizing chart seems very accurate, at least as far as the sizes I was looking at, and the four Bare wetsuits I have purchased have fit perfectly right out of the box.

@Seville. I would give LeisurePro a call. Sometimes you can get a much better price than what is shown on their website. It is always nice to try to support your LDS, but sometimes they won't/can't come close to matching what the online retailers can offer.

Thanks for the info! I didnt know leisure pro would give discounts if you called them. is the 7mm one they sell for $130 junk compared to a used better brand wetsuit?

The $130 Neosport wetsuit is a two piece "farmer john" type wetsuit instead of the more common one piece. A two piece wetsuit would not be my preference, but I am sure they appeal to some divers since they are still marketed. I don't think many divers would put Neosport in the same category as the more prominent brands, but are suitable wetsuits for many divers. My grandson has a Neosport 3mm wetsuit, that fits his needs, body measurements, and diving frequency/profiles. I did not find any major deficiencies with his Neosport, it fits him and keeps him warm, so he is a happy diver. That does not mean that I would trade my Bare wetsuit for a Neosport. There are a variety of price point on wetsuits, like all diving gear, and the challenge for you is to find what works for you (fits properly) at the price point you want to pay.

I’m 5’8” and 165. L/S is perfect for me. You definitely need a larger suit. Neosport is Henderson’s cheapest wetsuit. I would definitely spend a little more and go with one of their better suits.

Here's what we do... make a chart of the sizes and measurement ranges. Plug in your measurements using a 1 in any box where your measurements match the range. Size with the highest total wins. Worked for me and my stepdaughter. Got her the Bare 8 and it was perfect. After I did this and told the owner of the LDS about it she told me it's exactly what they do. This is the women's chart, I redacted my girl's measurements but you get the idea.

Screenshot 2021-04-04 200810.jpg

Another BARE user, on my second. First was a 3mm Velocity, current is a 5mm Velocity.

Based on the sizing chart fit of the first one, ordered the second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom