Sizing BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Planning on getting a ladies ScubaPro Hydros Pro. Looking at the size chart, my height places me in the Medium category (by just 1”), but my weight is in the XS/S. Most of my height is my legs/hips, and I have a petite frame (27” waist), and average sized shoulders. I can make the M fit with a whole lot of adjusting, but in the waist at least, I have it as small as it can go just to fit it comfortably. XS/S feels better on my body, but doesn’t leave quite as much excess strap availability on the shoulders, (there still is about 4inches of strap that remains which could be let out in case someday I want to try a dry suit).

I previously had rented a ScubaPro Pilot size XS in case that helps, but nobody ever really examined the fit. I didn’t have any issues with it though.

Basically, I’m curious if the height or weight matters more when in between sizes on the size chart?

Usually the weight matters more than the height in a jacket BC.
I don't know if you've looked at all, but do you know what won't matter if you gain or lose weight, wear just a swimsuit or a wetsuit or thick undergarment and a drysuit? A backplate and wing.

A Halcyon Infinity will be the most quickly adjustable, but any backplate and wing can be adjusted to fit you perfectly. Take a look:
Halcyon Dive Systems

I had a similar issue when shopping for my BC years ago. Ended up getting a Zeagle because the dive shop could order me an XS waistband with a Medium torso length. All the other women's BCs were too short, so when I replace the thing, I'll get another Zeagle.

I switched to a bp/w largely for the fit issues. I have a pearl but it's way too big on me if I'm not wearing a thick wetsuit. My pearl is a medium, but I wear an xs if I'm not in a thick wetsuit.
My pearl is almost uselessly too big for me, but the bp/w? It works regardless.

For BCDs weight matters more (it needs to be able to lift you and your gear after all), but there is a point where the actual fit has to be considered as well.

Can I ask which bp/w you ended up with?

I went with a hollis -aluminum plate, solo harness, added on a couple cam bands. I have a single tank adaptor but tbh I don't know if it'll get much use beyond adding weight.
I do have a few weight pouches for cold water and a couple trim pouches for warm weighting. I really appreciate the flexibility of the bp/w setup.

Just to add to this thread. I currently wear a Scubapro Hydros in size M. I'm 5'10" and 165ish lbs.
When wearing a wetsuit I do have quite a bit of extra strap with it, I'd say like half a foot. But I LOVE, that I can extend those straps to easily use it with my much larger drysuit. I also love that it's totally adjustable, I have a relatively short torso and long legs, so I it's great that I can shorten the shoulder straps and have it at my actual waist, and not sitting on my hips, which I find to be pretty uncomfortable.

Also, the actual BCD pockets can be adjusted so that they are shorter around, you mentioned that you have it cinched all the way up in the waist. Adjusting the BCD pockets may help. I have mine on the second smallest setting, I believe that they have three settings. That may help make the waist of the BCD smaller, but also be able to keep the shoulder straps longer and more comfortable.

My husband originally ordered the Large Hydros, but ended up exchanging it for a Medium. For your above mentioned reason. He had to cinch the straps up so much. The excess from the shoulder straps were literally hanging past his hips.

Get the one that feels the most comfortable on.
Hope that helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom