Sizing a BP/W harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I purchased DGX BP/W last year and was able to dive with it some this summer. All of the diving was in a 5mm wetsuit, which is my general go to in summer around here. Shoulder season, however, requires me to pull out the 7mm. I feel as though the harness is set just about right for my 5mm, but it hasn’t been warn with the thicker suit.

To the question(s) at hand. Is there going to be enough of a difference between the two suits that I need to worry about it? Will setting up for the 5mm be close enough for the 7mm, or should I hit the pool and adjust the harness to the 7mm. If I do that, do I need to readjust for the 5mm when I wear it, or will the settings for the 7mm be good for it, as well? I’m asking this mainly because I have yet to trim the harness, and want to be somewhat efficient in doing so.

Sorry for the ramble, again, and thanks for your input, again,

Erik

If you can't get into it easily and unassisted wearing the 7mm, of course, adjust looser. ETA: I don't think you need to get in the pool.

I have mine set for my drysuit and do not adjust when I wear a 3mm. The waist strap is the most important to be tight, so my 3mm fixes the longest length. Shoulders are loose in either case.

If you can't get into it easily and unassisted wearing the 7mm, of course, adjust looser. ETA: I don't think you need to get in the pool.

I have mine set for my drysuit and do not adjust when I wear a 3mm. The waist strap is the most important to be tight, so my 3mm fixes the longest length. Shoulders are loose in either case.
Thanks! That’s kinda what I was thinking would be the case. I couldn’t imagine I would have to worry about the shoulder straps, but wasn’t positive. Crotch strap was my biggest concern.

Mine is comfortably set for cold, long winter dives in drysuit... It is not changed... I prefer a perfect harness on more critical dives. I can live with a slightly loose harness on recreational dives. The thing that truly stabilises is the waiststrap and that one is custom every time.

I purchased DGX BP/W last year and was able to dive with it some this summer. All of the diving was in a 5mm wetsuit, which is my general go to in summer around here. Shoulder season, however, requires me to pull out the 7mm. I feel as though the harness is set just about right for my 5mm, but it hasn’t been warn with the thicker suit.

To the question(s) at hand. Is there going to be enough of a difference between the two suits that I need to worry about it? Will setting up for the 5mm be close enough for the 7mm, or should I hit the pool and adjust the harness to the 7mm. If I do that, do I need to readjust for the 5mm when I wear it, or will the settings for the 7mm be good for it, as well? I’m asking this mainly because I have yet to trim the harness, and want to be somewhat efficient in doing so.

Sorry for the ramble, again, and thanks for your input, again,

Erik

Why don't you get this loop to make it easier to adjust the harness on the fly?

S/S Loop Adjustment Ring

Why don't you get this loop to make it easier to adjust the harness on the fly?
The point of that is to make one shoulder tight, which just isn't necessary IMO. Things aren't going anywhere when the waist belt is tight.

The point of that is to make one shoulder tight, which just isn't necessary IMO. Things aren't going anywhere when the waist belt is tight.

The purpose of the loop is to make it easier to adjust the shoulder strap to put on and take off the shoulder straps. It also allows to adjust the harness when moving from one type of suit to another. It works well in all applications.

The purpose of the loop is to make it easier to adjust the shoulder strap to put on and take off the shoulder straps.
A fixed harness adjusted to be loose is already easy to put on/take off. It seems strange to spend money on something to give you the same thing you already have, doesn't it? As such, I'd say the purpose of the loop is to allow the shoulder strap to be tightened. In fact, with the loop installed, one MUST have a tight shoulder strap in order to have a tight waist strap. If you want a tight shoulder strap (for whatever reason), it's a great solution.

Open your eyes man!

it's good for cold, it's no good for hot, it doesn't matter ha ha ha ha ha

288 338a.jpg

Get an adjustable back plate like me

A fixed harness adjusted to be loose is already easy to put on/take off. It seems strange to spend money on something to give you the same thing you already have, doesn't it? As such, I'd say the purpose of the loop is to allow the shoulder strap to be tightened. In fact, with the loop installed, one MUST have a tight shoulder strap in order to have a tight waist strap. If you want a tight shoulder strap (for whatever reason), it's a great solution.

Not exactly. Not everyone has great mobility and flexibility and sometimes one needs an inch or two to turn out of their harness. It also allows to change the fit of the harness when one switches from 5mm wetsuit to 7mm to drysuit to heavier undergarment. You can adjust the should strap as you like and the waist strap will still be made to be tight. SP new S-Tek plates have a superior solution in place of the loop that works much better but the loop is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom