Six months jail for diving for golf balls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The gentleman in question has since been offered a legitimate job collecting golf balls. And... I can't remember for sure, but was the sentence not cut short?

well being in law enforcement. one thing sure does come to mine, who was the officer who dragged this fellow in, and i just wonder if the dive gear would be considered evidence, hate to be the one to log that one. Sgt would be so pissst.... sure is great for an OT gimmic, hey sgt i'm still writing this evidence sheet page 6 of 10 item 203- round golf ball with inscription - lostmyowner help!
item 204- fin strap taken from aggressive golfdiver :)

come on help keep my list going :) should be funny !

My dad used to golf with this guy who had a long pole made for retrieving your golf ball out of water traps. What began as just getting his ball back, became collecting 100's of balls everytime they went golfing. This guy would let everybody play through, as he fished around in the pond with this gadget. My dad was good friends with this guy, but quit golfing with him because of it. Now I'm glad...he could have been arrested as an acomplice. :D

LONDON (Reuters) - A golf-ball thief had a six-month jail sentence overturned Monday when a British judge ruled the punishment was disproportionate to the crime.
John Collinson was jailed last month after he and a helper were caught red-handed by police with 1,158 balls dredged from the bottom of a lake on the Whetstone Golf Club in central England.

He denied theft, claiming the lost balls belonged to no one.

A golf club official told Reuters the street value of the two sacks of balls could be anything between 50 and 500 pounds ($70 to $700), depending on their condition.

Collinson had spent 10 years in the so-called "lake ball" business, donning diving gear to scour the ponds and lakes of Britain's golf clubs for balls to re-sell.

He spent nine days behind bars before being released on bail, and Monday his sentence was replaced by a two-year conditional discharge.

The fair way to drive this one off the boards would be to sink it now. It's beginning to make us all a little green.

Back
Top Bottom