Siquijor Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelpro

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be on the island last week of March (Holy Week). I'd like to do some dives around the islands. Hope I can do 2 morning dives then have the afternoon to sit on a beach. Staying at the new U-Story Guesthouse for 6 nights.

What are the favorite sites for folks on this forum? I usually like big stuff rather than macro or muck.

Which shops are popular around San Juan? Interested in shops with big boats so my non-diving GF can ride along and maybe snorkel around the boat while I'm diving .

Thanks,

Jeff

I went there last December. Not much big stuff, though I did not do Paliton wall where the big stuff are supposed to be. Stayed at Cocogrove and used their op. I think your GF will enjoy the trip to Apo island where the large sea turtles can be seen in the sanctuary. Actually the snorkelers in our group saw many more turtles than us divers.

Thanks but I want to dive around Siquijor

Not a massive amount of big stuff at Siquijor. Paliton Wall is a lovely site. There is some bigger stuff at the sunken mountain/island site - a submerged pinnacle with a top at about 10m and the base at about 40. You start at the bottom and spiral up the pinnacle. Current can be strong, hence the big stuff.

You'd be mad not to take a trip to Apo if you get the chance. Take a 3 dive trip if you can. It's pretty great.

Siquijor is a better site for small rather than big stuff in my limited experience (3 dives two weeks ago). There were some Pygmy seahorses on the wall at about 27m when we were there.

EDIT: to add to the above advice - the Apo sanctuary is shut at present due to severe damage, but there are PLENTY of large green turtles around the rock west area.

Apo is on my list of places to dive but was going to do it on another trip for the same reason. I heard the sanctuary is closed. Also, I want to spend time on Apo itself. I'm going to Siquijor this time. Though I love big stuff, I have seen so many turtles in my day. When I hear people telling about Apo, its always the turtles that come up first as their highlight. I have seen turtles in over 50% of my dives.

I don't get it. I want to dive Siquijor but everyone keeps directing me to Apo...

Thanks Mantra, I will give Palton Wall a try. I dig wall dives.

How about dive shops. My only option so far is diving with Coco Grove resort.

I get it about the turtles. We see them on most dives at home too and tend not to get as excited about them as people who aren't so lucky :) it's just that most people are pretty pleased to see a turtle that you will hear them mentioned. For me the highlight at Apo was the amazing coral coverage and topography.

I guess you will hear turtles mentioned when you say you like big stuff in location X if the big stuff in location X happens to be turtles.

We dove with Mikes in Dauin so I'm afraid I can't help you with shop recommendations on the island itself.

We considered staying on Apo too, but were glad in the end we based ourselves in Dauin as it gave us access to a much broader variety of diving, including Apo but not limited to it - for what that experience is worth.

I also plan to stay and dive with Mikes in Dauin on of these days This trip want to stay around Siquijor Island.

I;ve been talking CocoGrove Resort which is 10 minutes from where I'm staying. I guess I will just dive with them.

Travel pro, You'll like Coco Grove. It's a nice place. I've been to Siquijor twice and we stop there for lunch. Good service, the wait staff calls you Mr._______, and I always want to tell them Bond is my last name. I think Sea-Explorers is next door. If you can rent a jeep and drive round the island, it's a beautiful and super fun drive. Unfortunately I can't comment on the diving there as I've not dove there. For three days in Dauin/Apo area since you like critters/muck, I'd do two days of Muck and one day out to Apo.

Thanks Dirtfarmer. I think only Americans find the Mr...thing amusing though :D

Again, everyone seems to be directing me to Apo and I'm looking to stay on Siquijor. Though I do plan to dive Apo some day I want to spend my time on Siquijor so want to know the must dive sites on the island. I'm glad to hear Sea-Explorers is next to Coco Grove. My resort is 10 minutes from there so I will check out both places for diving.

I plan to rent a motorbike to travel around the island.

Again, everyone seems to be directing me to Apo and I'm looking to stay on Siquijor.

I just want to check you do realise many of the Siquijor dive sites are further from Coco Beach than Apo Island? That should give you a big hint on why so many people are suggesting it ;-)

Back
Top Bottom