sipidan water village

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayb

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on Sipidan Water Village both as a dive op and in terms of accomodation? I was hoping to stay at SMART resort but apparently they're booked out over Easter. That's what i get for leaving it so late...
thanks
kayb

Hi - I stayed at Sipadan Water Village two years ago at the beginning of last year and at SMART last year - in the water bungalows.

When I stayed at SWV I remember thinking that the rooms were the biggest I have even seen at a dive op. They were huge! Also had a decent sized deck which you share with the room next door though it is separated by dense pot plants. There is no air-con but it feels cool anyway. I think there are single chalets if you want to get them but they were fully booked at the time. The restaurant and bar are also nicely set out and quite large. I would say that it was one of the nicest dive accomodations I have been to.

However I do have to say that after visiting SMART water bungalows. SWV accommodation did seem a bit dated and older (SMART was brand new at the time). We went over to SWV for a drink at the bar though as they did cocktails - still nice, but next time I would recommend booking early for SMART. Though if I couldn't get SMART I would still be more than happy staying at SWV.

If I remember correctly SWV rotates their dive guides so you get a different guide every day. The quality of guiding was very variable when I went - some people were really good and some people where just awful and didn't point out a damn thing and had us rushing around to find the elusive baracuda schools - making us all really tired and annoyed. The dive groups were quite big and I seem to remember there being up to 10 people per guide. I do remember Jimmy being very good though - he took us on some of our best dives ever and I had him for one sunset dive where we saw so many things - the mating mandarin fish of course, baby broadclub cuttle fish, coral pipefish, baby batfish, ornate ghost pipefish, ghost hairy crabs on the coral etc etc etc! It was great!

Have to say that I didn't think the Mabul Water Village dive guides were that great when I went. Perhaps they have gotten better since then, it's just that no one stood out.

I would recommend jumping in yourself for a shore dive on their housereef if you like macrostuff. It was just great being able to have time to photograph the little things without the large groups being around!

Have fun diving Sipadan!

thanks TTA! Very helpful! Think it'll have to be SWV as SMART bungalows and/or standalones no longer available for the week we're going. Hope the lack of air-con won't be a problem tho....
Either way am v excited and will report back....
K

No probs kayb. Oops when I read my post again it seems that I am quite negative about SWV - I don't mean to be, just trying to be honest - I do think it is a very good resort but for me SMART just has a little bit of an edge :) I hope you have a wonderful time there - I'm sure you will!

No air-con was no problem at all - the breeze is more than cool enough - especially in the evenings (and of course they have fans). Anyway I hate having cold air-con when I'm damp from diving - I always get a cold! :)

I'm heading to sipadan/mabul myself this coming may too. will be staying at seaventure.

btw i just got an email from the operator that the sipadan levy fee has increased from RM40 PER WEEK to RM45 PER DAY, is that true ? i can't seem to find any news article that said the increased in levy.

Appreciate reply . thanks :)

No idea about the levy too. My experience previously was we're supposed to pay the money but since the marine park authority didn't ask for it, the agent returned back the money to us.

Anyway, I'll be going to Sipadan this Thursday ie: 23/3 til 25/3 with North Borneo Diver.

malaysia-islands:
No idea about the levy too. My experience previously was we're supposed to pay the money but since the marine park authority didn't ask for it, the agent returned back the money to us.

Anyway, I'll be going to Sipadan this Thursday ie: 23/3 til 25/3 with North Borneo Diver.

:11: the Authority didn't ask for it and the agent returned back the money to us, the agent is really honest and deserve us to patronise more often, which operator, ie if it is convenient to reveal here :05:

Cool that you are heading to sipadan this thurs, and if it wouldn't be of any problem to you, could you help us to verify whether it is true that the levy has increased to RM45 per day :sorry19z: None of us is able to find any official bulletin or website that say the increase.

Thanks in advance and have an enjoyable trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom