Sipadan/Mabul Trip Report Feb '18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Here's a short report on my experience diving with Seaventures on the Oil Rig in late Feb '18. I booked 5 days on the rig with one guaranteed permit on Sipadan. The rig is well equipped with all your diving needs, even a separate room for cameras. My room had a hot shower & comfy bed...all i needed. The food was excellent, I don't think I had a single meal that wasn't delicious, especially the BBQ on the last day. They even had a fride of cake that you could help yourself to.

All the staff were friendly and professional, and sat down and got some good diving stories and recommendations from a few. The rig has a games room, little gym and some hammocks on the converted helipad up top. You get to the boats via an open external lift and if you're diving the house reed underneath the rig, you can even swim right onto the lift which was nice.

The Diving:
TBH, I had high hopes for Sipadan, maybe a little optimistic perhaps, as I was hoping for lots of big stuff...but as with all big game, they either turn up or they don't. I didn't get any hammers but did get very close to a shoal of barracuda, swam amongst a huge group of Jacks, with the odd white tip reef cruising through it, many green turtles and several bumpheads...but that was about it really, so not great compared to other places I've been. I did get another visit on my last day and saw another barracuda shoal out in the blue but it wasn't my favourite place.

The islands of Mabul & Kapalai, however, yielded far more pictures for me and were the highlight of my diving. I don't think I've ever seen so many huge green turtles, actually encountered 4 in succession, a cuttlefish & squid laying their eggs all in the space of 5 mins...which is pretty damn good. There was an abundance of critters including some great Nudis, Ornate Ghost Pipefish, Mantis Shrimp & Octopus. The sites around Mabul had a mix of natural and artificial reefs, some very large like outdoor climbing frames, some with even little rope bridges, a few wrecks...all in all made for some interesting dives.

I'm glad i stayed on the Rig, never felt like i was missing out on anything and i think if i had been on a resort, i may have got a less personable services as there would be far more divers. When i arrived, i think i was the only white person, everyone else being Chinese or malaysian, but some spoke english and were friendly. Later, some other westerners arrived, but everyone was fun to spend time with. The Rig was definitely a unique diving resort and one I won't forget, so I would recommend it. As for Sipadan, one or even two days probably isn't enough to get the best out of it, then again luck is everything. I came away with about 60 good pics so i was very happy.

Attachments

• BarracudaFade.jpg
    BarracudaFade.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 212
  • ClownAnenome1.jpg
    ClownAnenome1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 208
  • EelHead.jpg
    EelHead.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 212
  • GhostPipe2.jpg
    GhostPipe2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 204
  • NudiDread3.jpg
    NudiDread3.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 199
  • NudiSkull.jpg
    NudiSkull.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 207
  • OctopusVein.jpg
    OctopusVein.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 197
  • PorcealinCrab.jpg
    PorcealinCrab.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 188
  • TurtleBlack.jpg
    TurtleBlack.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 260
  • TurtleFace.jpg
    TurtleFace.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 202
i dont think it is realistic to expect hammers in Sipadan ... I doubt it is a place famous for hammers, mantas, molas or whatever you imply by "lots of big stuff".
I am also surprised that you didnt get barracudas, and lots of them, on every dive in Sipadan. Its been a while but I recall a couple of shoals were always there. And I agree the place is full of turtles and all type of reef sharks.
Also, not sure if you visited some other places near Sipadan, the Turtle cave for example which is amazing.
In my opinion one day (i.e. two dives I guess?) is not enough to appreciate Sipadan. Luckily the macro around Mabul is very good.

One question, were you allowed to dive as much as you wanted from the rig? was it possible to dive by yourself or you needed a dive buddy?

Thanks

Well, I had read that you could be lucky and see hammers, manta & thresher, but certainly not to be expected.

I did get a shoal of barracuda...twice. I had 3 dives on both days, so 6 dives.

Well they said unlimited house reef dives (under the rig) but it is dependent on the current, I dived it twice. All you have to do is ask, and dive with a guide if free, join a group or with a buddy as I did. Diving alone is not allowed.

I’ve seen mobular rays and leopard sharks there but not mantas and threashers. FWIW, someone mistook a leopard shark for a thresher when I dived there last year.

I’ve only seen hammerheads on a blue water dive (but not at Sipadan). I recall being allowed to do a blue water dive at south point last year but it was not memorable. Did you do any blue water dives there?

I’d add that I did 32 dives at Sipadan last year and only saw leopards twice, mobular once, and eagle once. There are mantas and threshers in the area but they are not what Sipadan is known for.

I’ve seen mobular rays and leopard sharks there but not mantas and threashers. FWIW, someone mistook a leopard shark for a thresher when I dived there last year.

I’ve only seen hammerheads on a blue water dive (but not at Sipadan). I recall being allowed to do a blue water dive at south point last year but it was not memorable. Did you do any blue water dives there?

When you say leopard shark, you meant Zebra shark, like this one, below, right? Zebra shark - Wikipedia
9CE5DDAA-E2C2-4A9F-8CD9-166C897E2907.jpeg

Leopard shark lives in cold water of Northeast Pacific, I think, Leopard shark - Wikipedia, not in warm water of Western Pacific.

I have seen the Zebra shark in Palau. I haven’t seen thresher shark. I would love to see one someday.

@Dan_T
Forgot to add that I’ve seen the treasher shark breach at Kakaban which is not a million miles from Sipadan.

How come Sipadan/Mabul featured in Indonesia?
Shouldn't they be in Malaysia?

I think where it is depends on the tides? :wink:

@CWK Well, we did venture away from the walls into the blue for the barracuda, but i wouldn't say any of the dives where blue water. I call it a Leopard too....because it has the spots and it looks nothing like a Zebra, doesn't even have any legs!!

(apologies for the delay in responding, just been on a 10 day Raja Ampat liveaboard...which i'll post soon in the Arctic Forum.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom