(Sipadan)/Komodo/Bali Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bora Norza
You have been on the Perama twice!! I think I must be getting soft! I draw the line on sleeping on open upper decks and getting wet due to rough seas!
I must say the landscape around Komodo is amazing. Any journey on calm sea through this region would be very nice.
I have heard that Spring has flat seas in the North but not so good viss. Aug onwards is a bit windy but with good viss. I am not sure what the seasons are regarding marine life. I would be very interested to hear if there is an ideal time to go for both the North & South sites.

The Jacks at the bow of the Liberty were amazing. I would have liked to have stayed there for most of the dive. Unfortunately my group was getting into the Olympic spirit and tried to set a lap record for circumnavigating the Liberty. 20 mins from start to finish. It was a very short dive.

I agree that you would need a lot of luck to dive the sites in the South if you are land based at LB. You would definitely need to go at the right time of year.

Travelnsj
Palau is a very special place. However from my experience I would say in terms of marine life they are very similar.
My dive at Full moon was better than anything I saw at Blue corner in terms of large marine life.

Komodo

k22.jpg

k11.jpg

IMG_0164_11.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Borz Horza,
Are the seas pretty choppy in the later half of October? I am planning that Lombok-Flores boat trip for the way there. Sound like a good way to get there..

adamtodd, I'm not really familiar with the weather patterns for that time of year. All I can say is that I've visited 3 times around Easter (Late March to Early May sort of timeframe) and it's been pretty calm then. I've heard the roughest conditions are usually Febuary though, with wind and choppy seas. Perama have a website, :: Perama Travel Club - Bali :: , and about 4 different boats. See the 'hunting Komodo by Camera' tour details. If you get a (small) cabin it can be a good trip - pretty simple facilities, but there are cold beers, fresh water showers (when the engine is on), and the food is decent. Also on the bigger boat I've been on each time (Talha) a small outboard boat to take you to the beaches, etc. When I've been there was relatively few of us tourists on board, maybe 8 - 12, and a crew of about 8. But at peak season I think more backpackers are on board. Just luck of the draw I guess.

Kevster, I also rate Full Moon as one of the best divesites I've visited - the first time there it was 'rush hour' with millions of fusilers, I couldn't see the dive guide 'cause there were too many fish in the way! Giant Trevellys, big train of bluefin trevellys, black snappers, whitetip sharks, shoals of sweetlips, so much to look at! Ahh, to be back there now...

Thats a great picture of the Mantas, is that a third one at the lower left corner?

Last edited:
Borz Horza,
Are the seas pretty choppy in the later half of October? I am planning that Lombok-Flores boat trip for the way there. Sound like a good way to get there..

Wind direction will have almost changed completely by then fro the SE/SW to NE/NW

Wind Conditions are generally light and variable.

It is around this time that boats (September onwards) are able to go to the very southern dives in Komodo (out of Horseshoe Bay/Rinja).

Booking a flight now is probably better as these (small ferry) boats can sometimes be mechanically unreliable. See link for different ways to get to Komodo

Putri Naga Komodo

boat was not a dive liveaboard. It was a 3 day transfer boat from Lombok to komodo. It was called the Perama or something similar. It was for backpackers. They were sleeping on the upper open deck and the lower enclosed deck. There was only 3 cabins that were very small. A lot of unhappy faces. they had rough seas and a lot were very ill.
Hi Kevster,
Thanks for your Trip report.
Next time you go to Komodo and for your liveaboard it could be worth having a look to Liveaboard Scuba Diving - Thailand | Burma | Komodo | Indonesia | Andaman Islands Cruises | MV Philkade | Boat Charter

Back
Top Bottom