Sipadan Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody know of any insurance companies that will cover Sipadan and Layang Layang as the UK Foreign Office advises against all non essential travel to the area!! I was planning to go in April but what about insurance?? Any help or advice please???

I use worldnomads.com - at the moment the only countries they are not covering are places like Afghanistan and Iraq. I did a check from UK and they are offering cover - World Nomads Travel Insurance - Policy Quote

Also remember DAN insurance and if you do use worldnomads click level 2 or 3 on the adventure sports tab to cover dive equipment etc.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 11:36 PM ----------

I use worldnomads.com - at the moment the only countries they are not covering are places like Afghanistan and Iraq. I did a check from UK and they are offering cover - World Nomads Travel Insurance - Policy Quote

Also remember DAN insurance and if you do use worldnomads click level 2 or 3 on the adventure sports tab to cover dive equipment etc.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at

Thank you so much for that Wingy. Do you do both World Nomads AND DAN? My annual insurance includes all dive related cover so I never had DAN seperately...

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 11:57 PM ----------

Oh no, just checked with the World Nomads, if the Foreign Office has advised against all or non essential travel, they don't cover!!!!! I guess nobody covers and everyone out there is on their own and taking a risk I suppose??

Thats a bummer - our Dept Foreign affairs does not have that warning for Malaysia so coverage from Aus is possible..sorry about that - and yes I always use DAN and worldnomads.

Oh lucky you!!! I wish I were Australian now. The UK Foreign Office has the warning in particulat for the islands east of Sabah, namely Sipadan, Mabul, Kipalai and all the good stuff. The rest of Malaysia is fine :((

If anyone else is interested, the only company I found that covers the area (Sipadan, Mabul, Kapalai etc) despite the travel advisory against non essential travel there (British Foreign Office and others) is BUPA GLOBAL at global.ihi.com They are based in Denmark but you can do an online chat if you have questions (I did to triple check they actually cover Sipadan) and they insure you despite your country of residence.

If anyone else is interested, the only company I found that covers the area (Sipadan, Mabul, Kapalai etc) despite the travel advisory against non essential travel there (British Foreign Office and others) is BUPA GLOBAL at global.ihi.com They are based in Denmark but you can do an online chat if you have questions (I did to triple check they actually cover Sipadan) and they insure you despite your country of residence.
Let me get this straight. :blinking: You people don't go anywhere or do anything where you can't buy insurance to cover any eventualities? I have another trip to Sipidan planned this year, but I don't expect some insurance company to pay my ransom if I'm kidnapped.

Let me get this straight. :blinking: You people don't go anywhere or do anything where you can't buy insurance to cover any eventualities? I have another trip to Sipidan planned this year, but I don't expect some insurance company to pay my ransom if I'm kidnapped.
1. The insurance company never pay ransom.
2. Travel insurance is for eg. flight delay/cancellation, equipment failure, medical treatment including chamber, robbery etc etc.

Or if you trip and break your leg, have a heart attack, appendicitis, dci....

1. The insurance company never pay ransom.
2. Travel insurance is for eg. flight delay/cancellation, equipment failure, medical treatment including chamber, robbery etc etc.

Yes, all very logical. Then explain to me why insurance for these things becomes invalid just because a government designates an area unsafe because of heightened risk of kidnapping/terrorism? The risks due to my health conditions does not change. The airlines sell flight insurance. My equipment is my responsibility. The dive insurance I bought for the chamber and medical expenses related to DCS has not changed. Robbery?; well, there's no place to run on Mabul. I had a bag snatched once while in Melaka; the police tried to blame it on the Chinese woman I was traveling with. Life's a risk; diving's a risk. Just do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom