Single tank setup SPG Hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tceylan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to modify my Tusa SCA-230 console which is currently on a 32inch HP hose.

I'll cut out the rubber boot of the gauges and leave the bare SPG
attached to a 24'inch HP hose.

Then I'll move the depth gauge to my wrist using a wrist mount.

I talked to my LDS and they said 24'inch might be too short for a single tank
setup since the cables stick out at the tank valve. They said doubles valves
route the cables more directly and I should look into getting a longer hose
since dropping my head all the way down to look at the SPG will cause
my knees to drop.

What's DIR recommendation of a single tank (with a MK25 first stage, BP/W) SPG hose length on a hog harness?

Go with one that's short enough to yield a streamlined route, yet long enough to be comfortable. I personally find that a 24" SPG hose is bit a too short for a singles setup (albeit perfect for doubles). Consequently, I use a 26" hose on my singles rig. I'm just average height @ 5'10".

tceylan:
I'm trying to modify my Tusa SCA-230 console which is currently on a 32inch HP hose.

I'll cut out the rubber boot of the gauges and leave the bare SPG
attached to a 24'inch HP hose.

Then I'll move the depth gauge to my wrist using a wrist mount.

my knees to drop.

What's DIR recommendation of a single tank (with a MK25 first stage, BP/W) SPG hose length on a hog harness?

I use a 24 inch with either singles of doubles, din MK25's for both setups.

You don't need to drop your head to read the gauge. Unclip from your right hip and flip the hose up and over your elbow, now you can read it easily. You kinda tuck your elbow under the hose.

I started out with a slightly longer hose on my spg for my singles rig, 28" IIRC, and soon found I really did not need it.

Tobin

tceylan:
my knees to drop.

You don't drop your head to look at the gauge, you unclip it and bring it to you.

24". If you put your long hose on the bottom port of the Mk25, the HP hose routes directly down, just as with a set of doubles. With regs like the Apeks DS4, 26" might be necessary.

Soggy:
You don't drop your head to look at the gauge, you unclip it and bring it to you.

Is there an advantage to this?

Edit, sorry I did not realize I was in the DIR forum though I would still like to know the answer.

TheWetRookie:

Edit, sorry I did not realize I was in the DIR forum though I would still like to know the answer.

This approach allows the HP hose to be at a minimum length, and is very streamlined. After a few dives using this approach unclipping and reclipping the spg is second nature.

Tobin

TheWetRookie:

Are you asking if there is an advantage to unclipping and looking? If so, the answer has to do with primacy and also to do with practicality.

Everything in DIR is based on being able to move forward without changing anything. As you move forward in diving to using deco cylinders, you will need to unclip to read it and bring it out from behind the cylinders. Learning it this way from the start prevents you from having to relearn this technique when you have new gear and techniques to manage.

Practically speaking, in a drysuit and thick undergarments, along with a low volume mask, it's unlikely that you will be able to read the SPG anyhow. In a wetsuit, I don't need to unclip, but in a drysuit I do.

Soggy:
24". If you put your long hose on the bottom port of the Mk25, the HP hose routes directly down, just as with a set of doubles. With regs like the Apeks DS4, 26" might be necessary.

Good point. I neglected to mention that I diving a Flathead VI for singles, which routes differently.

Thanks a lot everybody... I'll go with 24inch and practice clipping/unclipping.

TheWetRookie:

While checking your SPG, which is a backup for your brain, you can still keep an eye on your team by bringing the gauge up after unclipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom