Single tank on backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty28t

Registered
Reaction score
I have an OMS backplate without a STA, but would like to mount a single tank. There are 3 slots for cam bands, one at the top, and two towards the bottom. My waist belt blocks mounting the cam strap to the lower slot.

my question is, should I re-route my waist webbing so that I can also shove a cam band through the lower slot, or will the two closer slots hold the tank just as well. (Its just that they seem quite close together)

Or, alternatively, is an STA worth the investment?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Scott

I have an OMS backplate without a STA, but would like to mount a single tank. There are 3 slots for cam bands, one at the top, and two towards the bottom. My waist belt blocks mounting the cam strap to the lower slot.

my question is, should I re-route my waist webbing so that I can also shove a cam band through the lower slot, or will the two closer slots hold the tank just as well. (Its just that they seem quite close together)

Or, alternatively, is an STA worth the investment?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Scott

I'm having a hard time picturing how you waist strap would interfer with the cambands, but the two sets of closer slots will work fine, if they line up with the slots in your wing.

Tobin

I'm having a hard time picturing how you waist strap would interfer with the cambands, but the two sets of closer slots will work fine, if they line up with the slots in your wing.

If he has the OMS Comfort Harness, then those are normally webbed such that the waist strap (which is separate) goes across the back of the backplate, and would interfere with the bottom cam slot. If that's the case, then he needs to reweb the harness with a continuous piece of webbing, and then he can utilize the bottom slot for a cam band. If he does not have a Comfort Harness, then I am equally baffled.

Scotty28t, could you give us a little more info about which specific OMS BP you have? That might provide some insight into the problem.

I Have Some Dives With Singles Using The Sta And Believe Me, It Worth The Investment, Cause De Sta Make The Tank Keep Perfectly Attached To The Back Plate, It Is Very Comfortable And The Main Thing If You Make Any Move The Tank Moves With You No After You, The Case If You Use It Just With The Cam Bands Is That The Tank Always Keep Loose And Will Be Moving All The Time With Or Without You

Its the OMS comfort harness.

Is the tank really mobile as you describe without the STA?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Its the OMS comfort harness.

Thanks - that clears things up a lot.

Is the tank really mobile as you describe without the STA?

I would go with a single-piece STA - they are much more stable, as they provide a channel of sorts for the tank to ride in. If you do that, then you should be able to bolt it to your existing BP without making any modifications. I believe the Comfort Harness has a grommet on the lower webbing to accommodate this. I'd still give serious consideration to rewebbing it though.

I personally like the Halcyon convertible weighted STA, which allows you to make weighting adjustments for different types of tanks (steel vs aluminum), or a drysuit if you use one.

Thanks for your advice. I was on the fence about buying an STA, but I think I will make the purchase. If anyone has one laying around they want to get rid of, let me know!

My harness does have that grommet for the STA.

I’m curious as well. How does the waist band interfere?
i'd love to see this bp. it's an OMS? what you describe sounds very strange.
Check their website for a pic: http://www.omsdive.com/backplate.html. Where the older OMS BPs (like mine) had no cam band slots, the newer ones have 3. But, it appears that the top slot could be used effectively with either of the two lower slots.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom