Single Lens vs Dual Lens Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kablooey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Any advantages or disadvantages between single lens and dual lens dive marks?

Much easier to get prescription or gauge reader lenses in a dual lens mask.

My first mask was a very expensive Atomic frameless (single lens). I wanted that so as to not have the frame in the center blocking my vision. Later, I found a dual lens mask that leaks less (for me) than my frameless and I bought that. I have never even noticed the part of the frame that goes in between my eyes.

I've seen more broken dual lens masks, perhaps because they are now more common. They can fit some faces better due to nose pocket designs. Also can sit closer to the face which some people like for a lower volume of air.

I like a single pane mask because it's easier to defog, seems durable, has no annoying bar between my eyes and transforms into a serviceable beverage goblet in a pinch. (photo proof provided if prompted) a disadvantage is it sits further away from the face and depending on the design may not have as good a field of view. (hugely design department)

That's what I've noticed. Looking forward to other's reasonings

Cameron

@northernone I feel like nose pocket fit and field of view are definitely down to individual design and there is not anything inherent to single pane or dual pane that requires a better or worse nose pocket or field of view for either.

Last I shopped, the Atomic Venom mask, which is single pane, had the best field of view on the market. That was a few years ago, so things could be different now. The point is simply that single or dual pane does not really dictate a better or worse field of view.

I think being low volume IS affected directly by the single or dual pane design. It's just like sunglasses. Wraparound glasses fit closer to the face, even at the outside edges of your eyes. Non-wraparound sit further out from your face, at the sides. Same deal with a single pane mask. It's like non-wraparound sunglasses. Having the glass further out from your face at the sides inherently means more volume behind the mask. A dual pane mask CAN (but isn't necessarily) be like wraparound sunglasses, where the lenses are close to your face, even at the sides. Thus, less volume between the mask and your face.

Any advantages or disadvantages between single lens and dual lens dive marks?

Dual lens dive masks are available with inexpensive corrective lenses, because the individual left and right lenses can be replaced with stock prescription lenses. For single lens masks, lenses that are bonded to the existing glass have to be used. These are available in two types: the ones that fall off and the ones that are really expensive.

The lowest volume masks are dual lens masks.

Dual lens masks, by their nature, have the dividing bar that interrupts the field of vision.

I have used both types and find that I like my frameless single-lens mask the best.

@northernone I feel like nose pocket fit and field of view are definitely down to individual design and there is not anything inherent to single pane or dual pane that requires a better or worse nose pocket or field of view for either.

I am coming at this from the perspective of fitting faces with particularly predominate noses or facial structure. To have it single pane it must have a piece of flat glass going across between the eyes, that's where some noses find themselves positioned and the nose pocket tucked down below it horribly insufficient for the face shape. Or the single pane style is closer to what is pictured in my profile photo which sits far from the face and there is no nose pocket at all. I'm meaning there are some inherent design considerations in the trade off between single and dual pane masks. If someone was concerned with nose pocket I guide them to extreme high volume or dual pane as I've not seen a single pane which would accommodate a predominant nose. My childhood dive buddy has this feature and when he finally found a 'modern' mask that fit he was overjoyed.

... Let's not forget triple pane too, those have exceptional peripheral vision.

Regards,
Cameron

I've seen more broken dual lens masks...

Northernone, can you say more about the damage you've seen with dual lens masks? Do you think there is some weakness in the design or construction of dual lens masks?
Your comment about broken dual lens masks alerted me because I plan to do a lot of traveling, so I need a rugged and reliable mask.

Also, thanks to everyone who has responded. I've found your comments extremely helpful, and you've all made points that have expanded my knowledge, and will factor into my final choice of mask.

K

I dive both, and really don't notice a big difference with either. That being said, not all masks are equal, and how it fits is the most important thing. I have had some single pane masks actually contact my brow on the "center glass". Also, due to trauma and surgical repair, my nose is an issue and plays a very important role in mask selection.

Interesting part is that most of the "big name - high dollar" brands aren't the ones I end up liking.

Also, you should know that there are actually only a very few actual manufacturers, so the price you are paying is for the name stamped on it....

Northernone, can you say more about the damage you've seen with dual lens masks? Do you think there is some weakness in the design or construction of dual lens masks?
Your comment about broken dual lens masks alerted me because I plan to do a lot of traveling, so I need a rugged and reliable mask.

Also, thanks to everyone who has responded. I've found your comments extremely helpful, and you've all made points that have expanded my knowledge, and will factor into my final choice of mask.

K

Taking care of a mask like it's a pair of eye glasses or a silk bandana and pack and carry it like it's fragile fish any should last pretty well.

I've seen no relationship between mask cost and durability or comfort. Not seen enough masks break to have any good patterns. Here's what I remember from the last bunch of masks I've seen break.

1. Snapped frame beside nose piece, thin frame. Broken while adjusting underwater.
2. Snapped mask strap joint. Pulled too tight at surface. Flimsy plastic pivoting design.
3. Lens fell out attempting to clear. Retaining plastic frame popped free of pressure fit design.
4. Mask strap joint shattered, pulled mask too tight. Thin plastic design. Lightweight mask.
5. Frame snapped by nose piece. Exiting the water. Airbubbles in plastic at failure point.
6. Mask skirt ripped. Snagged on second stage during mask removel. Appeared to be easily ripped due to thinness.
7. Lens popped out. Tank dropped on mask... Single pane Didn't break.

8. Mask strap pivot point. Retaining pin snapped. Pulled too tight. Didn't see how it happened.
9. Skirt ripped. Old sun eaten clear material.
10. Snapped in half. Unknown cause.
11. Hinge point snapped, retaining pin too thin. Unknown cause
12,13. Same as 11.
14. Frame snapped at nose. Lens fell out. Crushed in travel
15. Lens shattered. Dropped.

That's masks retailing between 6$ and 140$ no two the same brand.

The mask pictured in my profile has been run over, tanks dropped on, checked bag, ended up under the tank pile, used by a few dozen people and come with me on dozens of flights and bus trips and traveled unprotected 10,000 miles. Excess of 1500hrs underwater. And I'm the second diver on it. Don't know it's history previous.

Not sure if this recollection is helpful but that's what I've seen of broken masks off the top of my head. Breakfast time.

Regards,
Cameron

Just went thru the whole "gotta get a mask" thing...it was not fun {edit: it wasn't cheap either!!!}. I will say it this way, at the end of the day it usually makes zero difference which mask you like. In most cases, you don't pick the mask, the mask picks you.
I started out with reviews online. I bought the two best rated masks and they both leaked. Then I started paying more attention to the way it fit and how well I could hold it on out of the water with just a little negative pressure. Like most new divers I ended up with a mask that I never heard of and had no idea ever existed, let alone considered in the beginning.
Best thing I can tell you is forget what you think looks good or what you like and keep trying until you get the one that fits, feels good, don't move around while you are breathing and don't leak. When you find it immediately buy three or four of them. If your luck is anything like mine they just quit making the one you need!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom