Single 130 + pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfrano

Registered
Reaction score
How many people are using a pony? Is it advisable to use a different mix on the pony to reduce deco times?

are you wanting to use the pony as a bailout bottle or a deco bottle?

From what I have seen, those who are going deep enough or long enough to need a deco bottle are typically using doubles and the redundancy is built in there. So, the deco bottle is mixed based on their deco requirements. Based on that premise, if we make the assumption that the bottle is intended to be a bailout bottle to be used within the NDL, then most divers will use air in the pony. This reduces the depth limitations associated with Nitrox. (or at least matching gas configurations). In this configuration, you will not use the pony for your safety stop. You will continue to breath off of your main tank.

32% O2 is toxic at 132 feet, 100% at 20 feet. 32% could work as bailout gas for rec diving 100 feet or less but carrying 100% you could only use it during shallow decompression. I carry a pony but I carry air. It is only for self save, as I sometimes dive alone and because I never put my life in another s hands if I don't have to.

How many people are using a pony? Is it advisable to use a different mix on the pony to reduce deco times?

To answer your question: There seems to be agreat deal of divers here that like to use a pony. I'm not exactly sure why but they do like to carry one and debate endlessly the proper way to carry/sling that tank.

As to a "different mix" to reduce deco time? I would have to say yes (and NO).

(but that mix would not be in what you call a pony)

Still, dive the way you like.

the pony is for an emergency. in my opinion it should be filled with air for rec. use. if your using it for deco, then its not a pony, but a stage bottle and needs to be included in your gas plan.

brett

I use to dive double 100s and found that I would always have plenty of air remaining from any dives in the typical 70-140 ft range. Diving regular air, I would rack up long deco times. Between the facts that I would have plenty of air and looking to cut down some weight (due to some surgeries), I went with the 130/pony configuration. Doing wrecks like the Oregon or RP Resor I still find that its my deco obligation that make me cut the dive short.
So my thought was if I used an 80% mix in the pony would help dramatically cut the deco time...of course this is like diving without a backup air source at depth; which is not acceptable.
Maybe the best answer is to switch both tanks to Nitrox, so I can use at depth if needed and also reduced hang times. Another alternative would be to keep air in the tanks and hang an 80% mix off the boat at 15'.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom