Simple camera recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

Sunsets

New
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a simple camera setup for my husband. He had a Gopro like camera that flooded out a few years ago and I would like to replace it for him. Budget around $300 to $400.

Outside of your budget unless you keep your dives 45 feet or less would be a TG-6. You could probably pick up a gently used TG-5 with a housing in that range.

Looking for recommendations for a simple camera setup for my husband. He had a Gopro like camera that flooded out a few years ago and I would like to replace it for him. Budget around $300 to $400.
How deep does he dive? What kind of pictures does he like to take?

Sealife makes the Sportdiver housing for both iphone and Android phones. By itself it cost $300, the light and base for the light is another $400 and can be added on later. You can close up, macro, wide angle, and shoot video. I have 2 ikelite housings D300, and D800 that cost thousands of dollars. I don't use them anymore, I use the Sportdiver instead. I am not in anyway affiliated with manufacturer or a shop, just think it is a great product. All images below with ambient lighting.

12-09-21 Gray Angelfish Squadron.jpeg
12-09-21 Shark Statue Wide Angle.jpeg
12-09-21 Spotted Moray.jpeg
12-09-21 Wide Angle.jpeg
12-10-21 Spadefish.jpeg
10-23-21 Dash Goby.jpeg

11-06-21 Shorfin Pipefish(1a1).jpeg

My wife has never had an underwater camera. We bought her an Olympus TG-6 and Olympus housing for $700. She was very successful and enjoyed having the camera on our recent trip to Bonaire. She's hooked now

My wife has never had an underwater camera. We bought her an Olympus TG-6 and Olympus housing for $700. She was very successful and enjoyed having the camera on our recent trip to Bonaire. She's hooked now
Did you get lighting as well? Or just go with ambient, no lighting?

The TG cameras in the Olympus housing still use the onboard flash. It's powerful enough for macro and up to a a foot or two
PC260512.JPG

This was taken with a TG-5 no housing in about 15 feet of water no external flash.
P7040435~2.JPG

This one is in the Olympus housing with an inon D200 strobe at about 75 feet.

If you have a phone with a good camera on it, Kraken Sports makes 2 housings for smart phones. KRH04 Universal Smart Phone Housing - Kraken Sports and one with a depth & temperature sensor KRH03 Universal Smart Phone Housing Pro With Depth\Temp Sensor - Kraken Sports You can get a lens adapter later that will let you thread different lenses on it. Lens Adapter for Smart Housing - Kraken Sports

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom