Similian and Surin Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alyeska123

Registered
Reaction score
I am a woman traveling alone and heading to Thailand next week and would like to spend some time in the Similan and Surin islands. Any information on the following questions would be greatly appreciated. :) THANK YOU!

1) Accommodation. Will I have any trouble in just turning up and hoping that there are free tent spots at this time of year?
2) Dive companies. Most of the dive companies touring the area do so via day trips out of Phuket or liveaboards, however I was hoping to base myself on the island itself. Is this possible? ie. are there dive boats who pick up divers from Similan or Surin before heading out for the day's dives? Are there any dive shops / centers on the island? Any names / info / websites / prices would be a great help.
3) Amenities. I know that the islands are a place to rough it. But are there any stores or such on the islands for buying basic supplies?
4) Safety. Are these islands safe for a woman traveling alone? Aside form using common sense, do I have to be paranoid about my belongings in a tent?

Accommodation
In Phuket or Khao Lak no problem at the moment, for the islands themselves I would definately book in advance.

Staying on the islands
There are a couple of bungalows and some tents, both really expensive.
Rental of snorkeling equipment is possible from the islands, no rental of diving gear.
None of the diveboats will pick up divers from the silands themselves. (as far as I know)

Amenities
No stores, but a ranger station whith just the real basics (like snorkeling equipment)

Safety
Safe, no problems at all.

If you really want to do dive the Similans, take either daytrips or a liveaboard from Phuket or Khao Lak, with a liveaboard offering the best diving.

IQ Dive has a two day trip, where you spend one night over on Island No.4 of the Similans. Never done it, but looked interesting.

I went to surin and similan every year in last three years. all via liveaboard. I know there are not scuba diving facility on both islands but the nearest diveshop are base in khao lak(to similan) and Koh Chang near ranong(to surin, don't confuse with Koh Chang near Cambodia border).

I would like to recommend aladdindivecruise (http://www.aladdindivecruise.de) in Koh Chang and seadragon (http://www.seadragondivecenter.com) in khao lak. the two diveshop provide the most value/price liveaboard package in this two areas as I know.

try to negotiate with diveshop to check if can take one of their liveaboard divetrip and leave you in similans/surin and bring your back in their next divetrip. if your can meet their schedule. you can also ask them about free tent spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom