Similans Water temps April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alijtaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have searched and didn't find what I was after..

Short story. I won a three day liveaboard trip from Khao Lak to Similans (have to pay to get there but what the hell). Buddy and I have decided to take the trip 31 March to 2 April.

I am impressed with the current descriptions of marine life and temps in the Similans but rather than hijack existing threads I decided to post a separate one. What sort of water temps can we expect in early April (we typically dive in 12C - 16C at home).

And if we do a day trip or two fron Phuket - maybe to Phi Phi or just locally - will that be significantly different?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alison

Hi Alison... welcome to the tropics. Expect the temp to be a toasty 26-28C. The waters here don't usually go below 25C even with the thermoclines so you may have to invest in a new 3mm full or shorty. Plenty of places in Phuket to get a custom suit made too while you're on the LOB.

I'd play it a bit safer this year and would say maybe as cold as 24 Celcius and maybe as warm as 30 Celcius. We've had at times some REALLY cold water this season and with the El Nino (possibly already) affecting our area it may get as cold as 24 Celcius.

Now that should still be fairly warm for a diver used to dive in 12-16 Celcius.

My normal measurements for March are around 29C @ 30M.
If you aren't a local, a 2-3mm shorty is normal.
If you are a local, anything short of a drysuit is too little protection.

Colder water is generally a good thing. The 30 degree bath is not favoured by pelagic fish/sharks, but when you get 24 - 26 degrees, there's more chance of big stuff. I like big stuff. I admit it. Nudibranchs are "nice" but a hammerhead would be better :)

Batfish:
. Nudibranchs are "nice" but a hammerhead would be better :)

There's a fantastic nudi (Ceratosoma moloch) that I've seen at Black Rock and looks a little bit like a hammerhead!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom