Similans LOB- Phuket guidance needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mogdukth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys!

I'm heading down to the Similans for a 4D4N LOB on Black Manta smack in the middle of December.

We're taking a flight out of Singapore and hitting Phuket early morning in the 18th and will fly back on the morning of the 23rd.

The problem is on our first day, we have about 8 to 10 hours to kill before we get picked up to go to the pier at Khao Lak.

Anybody know if there's a shopping area near to Phuket airport with cinemas, shopping or something for us to do to while away the time?

Basically Im thinking of depositing the luggage and dive gear at the airport and head out to phuket for lunch and maybe dinner then head back to phuket airport in the evening to get picked up by the BM guys.

Also, since we're spending a night at Phuket after we get back from Similans, was wondering if anybody could help with recommendations for hotels with decent entertainment around Phuket? Looking for a room that is around a $100 a night or less.

Appreciate the help!

Many thanks!!!!:D:D

There's not a whole lot of commerce near the airport. The closest place with a nice village on the beach would be a taxi ride away at the Bang Tao bay area where you'll find a number of places to eat and a few places to shop, but no cinemas or malls or anything of that sort. You could also take the airport bus into Phuket city where there is shopping and lots of restaurants, the old town for wandering around in, etc.

If you want entertainment on your last night on the island, stay in the vicinity of Patong. There's the Simon Cabaret, tons of bars and dance clubs, and a new magic show venue that's opening up this season.

If you arrive very early in the morning on the the 18th and are looking for cinema and restaurants I would head down to Patong. Jungcelon has a cinema and plenty of choice for last minute shopping. Lots of restaurant choices outside and the beach is closeby. It will take you about 45 minutes in a taxi to get there from the airport. You might be able to organize Black Manta's car to collect you from Patong.

Another option for cinema and a flashy mall is Central Festival, again about 40 minutes from the airport.

I hope you are not flying too early on the 23rd :D

See ideas above for some activities.

Have you considered taking a taxi to the beach, and make it a nice and relaxing day at the beach?

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, appreciate it! Helps a lot in my planning!

Will post a Similans report after we come back.=)

Hi Steve,yes, I am considering that as well,=)
Maybe just chill or hang out at Patong beach and grab lunch/dinner around there.

Not sure, but I think Stevenl may mean the beach near the airport. Try Nai Yang Beach as its only a few minutes from the airport and it could be one of the nicest beaches in Phuket.

Thanks, that was exactly what I meant. For a nice day of relaxation, that would be easiest, not much travel, and enough places to eat and drink something as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom