Similans are OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wombat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For anyone who is wondering whether the diving is still good in the Similans in Thailand, it is. I should admit up front that I hadn't seen Thailand pre-tsunami; on the other hand, I don't work for a dive operation or anybody else who has an ax to grind. Just got back from a week on a liveaboard, and thought there might be other people who had the same questions I did before I went.
There was some damage, and I was told that the government has actually closed a few dive sites on islands seven, eight & nine. There are still lots of good dives. It's actually interesting (although sad) to see big sea fans lying on the bottom on their sides. Richelieu Rock was not harmed and is as good as advertized, as long as you don't mind crowds. There are plenty of fish and clawly things to look at, and a surprising amount of standing coral under the circumstances.
Bottom line (literally) - If you were thinking about going, go.

That's good to hear - I'm going next week.

Hey Kim
Have a great trip! Just got back from Thailand, Phi Phi was really nice. I think in the areas I saw, the damage above the water line greatly exceeded that below...

I, too, just returned. I agree that Richilieu Rock is in excellent condition, but some of the Similans (6, 7, 8, and 9) had some damage. I dived some of the damaged areas, and it is heartbreaking to see all that rubble. In other areas, Koh Bon has some significant damage as well. It was awe inspiring to see how powerful nature can be.

But still, there is plenty of great diving to be had.

Want to help?

Here's how.

Right now the biggest damage to the area is economic. Many hotels and restaurants are nearly empty. Shops cry out for customers. In the harbors, dive boats filled with tanks sit idle, waiting for divers. Massage shops ($5 for a one hour Thai massage) are empty. I heard that in one specific diver operation, people are living on approximately 1/5 of their accustomed income.

The greatest help you can provide will also help yourself. Plan your next dive trip to Thailand soon. Have a great vacation and put your money directly intot he pockets of the people who need it, unfiltered by government red tape and corruption.

some of the "damage" you may have is not necessarily be Tsunami related. e.g I was in Koh Bon in November and it was trashed then (IMHO). The area still has excellent diving but needs local controls if it is going to stay as good as it currently is

http://www.damnam.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=807

I wish I could have went to the Similans, but I was there during the Tsunami. My dive operator Similan-divers was badly hurt (Benjamin). My best wishes to everyone out there..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom