Similan Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hallboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just retrun from a 4 days cruise with Sea dragon Khaolak. Boat the adaman, simple and well organised. Good boat, good crew everything well organised ( Thank you John boy, James and Kath ) and extremely good price ( 17 800 Baths - 5% for cash payment, - 10 % if you have your own material ). Very good dives even if no manta and just 2 sharks. Impossible to notice for a simple customer traces of the Tsunami. Barbecue party on board the 3 thd day was real fun. To get into a school of barracudas too.

hallboy:
Just retrun from a 4 days cruise with Sea dragon Khaolak. Boat the adaman, simple and well organised. Good boat, good crew everything well organised ( Thank you John boy, James and Kath ) and extremely good price ( 17 800 Baths - 5% for cash payment, - 10 % if you have your own material ). Very good dives even if no manta and just 2 sharks. Impossible to notice for a simple customer traces of the Tsunami. Barbecue party on board the 3 thd day was real fun. To get into a school of barracudas too.
How did your liveaboard trip to the Similan islands compare with diving from a daily boat trips in Thailand? I am thinking of visiting Thailand in February, but am going with inexperienced divers. I would prefer to spend all my diving in the Similan islands, but I will have to compromise with others who may not want to do as much diving as I do.

daily boats just can't brig you to a lot of places and you will not dive just as often. If you stay long enough, share your time between koh phiphi - south of Phuket - do some dives enjoy the beach; and then go tfor a 4 days cruise to the similans. It' s not difficult dives: some on board were only 10 dives.

minamin13:
How did your liveaboard trip to the Similan islands compare with diving from a daily boat trips in Thailand? I am thinking of visiting Thailand in February, but am going with inexperienced divers. I would prefer to spend all my diving in the Similan islands, but I will have to compromise with others who may not want to do as much diving as I do.
Dialy boats will pick you up from your hotel at about 6am or so and return 12 hours later if you stay in Phuket.
Count on a 1-2 hour bus ride to the port, followed by 1 hr speed boat ride to the dive site for 2 dives and return.

Too much travel IMO.

Go LB for 2 days, leave the gang back at port :)

Inexperienced but certified divers? Do a liveaboard. Its not just for experienced divers. If your friends have an Open Water cert, they can do the PADI Advanced Open Water cert on the liveaboard, for about 125 U$ extra, ensuring they get proper supervision from an instructor on the deeper dives. Day trips to Similan Islands are certainly possible, but as Moonwrasse says, a loooooooong day for 2 dives.

There are 2 or 3 day liveaboards if your friends don't want to do as much as 4 days. It is the best way to dive the area.

Have a good trip :)

I'm keen on day trip to Similan for the time being. I'm quite the budget traveler and don't mind waking up early :)

Probably 2-3 yrs down the road, I could afford a nice liveaboard and dive Similan as much as I want :)

malaysia-islands:
I'm keen on day trip to Similan for the time being. I'm quite the budget traveler and don't mind waking up early :)

Probably 2-3 yrs down the road, I could afford a nice liveaboard and dive Similan as much as I want :)

Hi M-I,

You might consider a compromise like an overnight trip. Very good value for money compared to a day trip. The price is a little over double (day trip about 4500 Baht, Overnight 9900 Baht), but you get 6 or 7 dives compared to 2 on a day trip.

South Siam runs these all high season:

South Siam III liveaboard

Back
Top Bottom