Similan Liveaboard in March 2011-suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

I need some help narrowing down all the liveaboard options to just a handful, can anyone help please?

Here's what I'm looking for:

I'm single AOW Non-nitrox diver looking for a decent boat for at least 6 days or more around the Similans and maybe further including at least 2 dives at Richelieu Rock for a budget of £800-£1000 for march 2011.

I don't require a luxury vessel just something with good food, safe facilities, photography friendly and one that goes to the best sites. I want to see big pelagics like leopard shark, mantas, whale sharks but also the small stuff like nudis too.

I've read some similar posts here and checked out a few sites regarding early specials but I'd like to hear some personal recommendations for any boats that may suit my needs.

many thanks
Chris

Hey Chris,

I buy a lot of dive gear from Khun Poosak in Bangkok (Dumnam). His team also organizes trips at discount prices. I checked for you, and they have a March trip that might work for you for around 20,000 Baht:

3 S.Andaman 2 Mar - 7 Mar MV/Tapana 4 Day Dives, THB.20,500

You can visit his web site and contact him directly. He and his team are fluent in English and they love to dive. His philosophy is to pass savings along to other divers. In addition, as mentioned, many of us expats here buy a lot of gear from them because they give all customers at 20% discount on all dive gear.

I've not gone out on a trip with them yet, but plan to when my schedule matches their schedule. I've been too busy diving the wrecks in Pattaya and making some trips to Vietnam, so I missed their recent Koh Tao trips (unfortunately, because I wanted to go with them!)

Cheers for taking the time to check for me Funrecdiver, I'll add it to my list of possibles.
thanks.

Six days at least.... that narrows things down a bit since the standard trip length is 4d/4n. There are a couple of boats doing only the Similans for longer trips--it's important to note that most boats offering longer trips go up into Burma, which increases the price of the cruise significantly. With sterling coming in at about THB 50/£, your maximum budget is approximately THB 50K, and to stay within your budget you will not want to be going into Burma. For longer trips, there are basically two options: 1) a longer stay in the Similans or 2) a combination trip that includes the southern islands as a 2-day extension of the standard 4-day trip. Are you thinking Similans/Surins only or are you open to the north + south combo trips? Keep in mind that in addition to the cost of the trip itself there is also a National Park fee that is payable in cash on board the boat. A number of the longer trips on the few boats that offer them are already full--when in March are you hoping to go?

Hi Quero, Thanks for all the info.

If the Similans and Surin islands are covered together in a 4 day trip then I'm happy to to do a longer trip to the Similans/Surin OR add more days in the south or north. Basically, I want to make the most of the best sites for my budget....don't we all!

I've read about Hin Nok, Shark point & Ko Bida Nok as sites to see in the south, are there any other must-see sites in this area of Thailand that i shouldn't miss?

In answer to your IM i'd prefer a mixed boat as I don't speak french I'm afriad. I'm not sure of the exact date in march yet as I'm planning on flying on to another destination afterwards and I have to work those dates out first.

if you need more info/have more advice just let me know
Cheers

HI Chris,

My recommendation would be a medium budget boat like MV Black Manta for a four night Similan Safari and then a trip south on MV Mermaid II.

This southern trip will take you diving at Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, Koh Haa and Phi Phi - more not to be missed dive sites in the Phuket region.

I just wanted to give you a starting point - let us know what you think.

At the moment there are a few boats having attractive options: discounts if bo0oked and paid quickly. Examples are Nautica, 4 days and 6 days Similans etc., excellent value for money at the moment, Black Manta, 4 days trips Similans etc. and Colona, 4 days and 6 days Similans etc., pluis 2 days Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Bida Islands and Shark Point area.

Besides these trips there are also cheaper options that are worth consideration, excellent value for money offer IMO Manta Queen and Manta Queen II, Oktavia e.g. is also excellent value and offers 5 days trips to Similans and could be combined with another boat going to Hin Daeng etc.
And there are many more options.

Chris, since you're happy to do a combo trip, you should consider one of the boats that do back-to-back 4-day and 2-day trips north and south. I personally think it's more convenient to leave your dive gear on just one boat rather than switching from boat to boat between trips. In March Mermaid has several back-to-back trips only a little above your budget if you book the cheapest cabin (this is a relatively expensive boat), or there is a mid-price boat run by Colona with a mid-March trip within your budget. Nautica has a 6d/5n northern-only option the last week of March, also in your budget range.

Colona 6 comes out at just over 1000 GBP for 6 days/6 nights. There are trips in March for 6 days to the Similan Islands/Surin Islands/Richelieu Rock, or 6 days including Similan islands, Richelieu Rock and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. 10% discount if booked and paid before end August.

Nautica has a couple of 6 day trips, and a 20% discount for booking and paying before end August, price would be around 800 GBP with that discount.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your trip :)

Outpost...

March is definitely a great time to visit...calm seas and great marine life!

The shop I work for is introducing a 5 day/5 night liveaboard for the upcoming season. This will not only do 2 dives at Richelieu, but will also spend beach time on the Similan and Surin Islands...giving you time to experience the islands above the water, as well as below :)

Currently updating our website with all the details...but pictures and some information here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom