Similan Islands: Why No Coconut Trees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
One thing that struck me on my first visit to the Similans, back in the mid-90s, was the apparent lack of coconut trees. It seems that almost everywhere you go in the tropics, especially in coastal areas, you see coconut trees; often lots of them. In the immediate area - Phang Nga, Krabi, Phuket, Koh Phi Phi - you see lots of coconut trees.

It seems that this Similan beach would be perfect for coconuts. Find a beach like that almost anywhere in the tropical world and you'll also find coconut trees.

IMG_2655.jpg

Anyone know what accounts for the lack of coconut trees in the Similans?

(Please tell me I'm not the only one who wonders about this.)

My guess: remote locations are more likely to have only indigenous species of both plants and animals, because they aren't that easily "contaminated"......Just a guess :wink:

I suppose that's possible, but I've been on some pretty remote islands that have coconut trees. I used to live on Nama in the upper Mortlocks which is about 65K southeast of the Truk Lagoon. Covered with coconut trees.

Maybe it has more to do with geology. How about the Surin islands. Any coconut trees there? I've been, but never noticed.

Well yes, but fruit trees are very often brought to inhabited islands on purpose - where they continue to grow and spread if conditions are right....

I know Wikipedia is not a reliable information source, but still........:wink:

The conditions required for coconut trees to grow without any care are:

mean daily temperature above 12–13 °C every day of the year
50 year low temperature above freezing
mean yearly rainfall above 1000 mm
no or very little overhead canopy, since even small trees require a lot of sun

The main limiting factor is that most locations which satisfy the first three requirements do not satisfy the fourth, except near the coast where the sandy soil and salt spray limit the growth of most other trees. The Similans are pretty much covered in green........

Except that if you look at the photo in the OP, that's prime coconut growing beach: no overhead canopy at all.

Here's a similar beach on Saipan:

SpnWlk49.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom