Similan Islands or Barracuda point? First dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello there,

Me and a friend are planning a trip to South East Asia for the end of the year, we are starting in Hanoi, travelling the length of Vietnam, before passing through Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, mainland Malaysia and Borneo. After this we plan on visiting Indonesia, before finally bringing our journey to a close in India.
Now, Scuba diving is something I've always wanted do, but I've never really had an incentive to learn, until now. After a bit of research online, I have come to the realization that on our journey we will be passing many world class dive spots, most notably the Similan Islands of Thailand, and Barracuda point, off of Sipadan, Malaysian Borneo. In order to fund such a trip my friend and I will need to keep a tight budget, which means we will probably only be able to visit one of these wonderful locations. Of course, as I have mentioned previously neither of us have any experience of diving at all. and so this is why I am turning to you, ScubaBoard members!

If you could only visit one of these places, which one would it be and why?

What are the most notable differences between the two?

Perhaps there is another great dive spot which I have completely overlooked?

Thank you for reading this,
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Mahbub Ali.

sipadan is way better than similans, but as a new diver i'm not sure you would be able to fully enjoy it. similans also has some very deep and very strong current dives, not great for a newbie. if you are on a budget and require learning then you should consider one of the many islands off the west coast of thailand or east coast of malaysia. they are some pretty good diving for a pretty good price, especially malaysia. if you want to spend a little bit more than by all means, go to sipadan area, stay at a resort on mabul island where you can do your training from shore and some shallow calm dives around mabul followed by a couple dives at neighboring sipadan island for some serious turtles and sharks!

I've never been to Borneo, but I have done a 10-day live-aboard cruise off the west coast of Thailand, including the Similan Islands.

The Similan Islands are rather unique in that there are few granitic island chains in the world: Seychelles Islands, British Virigin Islands and the Similan Islands. The diving in the Similans is nice but I would not call it "spectacular."

I suspect Borneo would be a better choice.

Similan Islands
425768_342926205751439_607404762_n.jpg

Similan Islands
409560_342926139084779_1416443584_n.jpg

Similan Islands
425868_342934259083967_1949694580_n.jpg

A first ever dive at Barracuda Point .. not sure the dive shops would take you there without some minimum of experience. I have done nearly 1000 dives in the Similan islands area, and when I dived Sipadan in 2006 I was surprised by the current at Barracuda Point, it's not a site for beginners :)

Honestly, in this part of the world, the truly "world class" diving ain't cheap and ain't for brand new divers. Crazy currents, "infinite" depths, and the size of one's wallet absolutely play in a role in planning a trip to SE Asia's best diving. Still, your trip sounds amazing, and you should absolutely consider some of the usual backpacker dive spots such as Ko Phi Phi in Thailand and the Gili Islands in Indonesia. The diving is good, far more affordable than Sipadan or Raja Ampat, great for beginners, and you will meet some cool people along the way.

Either location mentioned can be great diving. My personal preference would be Sipadan.

Maybe worth considering learning to dive in your own country prior to your trip. Unless you are at least advanced diver level most of the best sites should be off limits. Having said that even for inexperienced / new divers there is still some good diving to be had at either location.

If you are in Phuket area, you can consider dive spots like Racha Islands before going to the Similans. The Similan Islands are dive spots for experienced divers or at least Advanced.

Bali has a good variety of dives...Some OK for newbies and tons to see topside too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom