Similan Islands liveaboard December-Solo traveler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a dive trip for the end of December and after talking to more experienced divers I'm considering the Similan Islands. I'd really appreciate some advice. I only have about thirty dives, but will be completing an Advanced Open Water course in a few weeks. The general advice I've received is that the Similan Islands are a good place to make the transition to somewhat more advanced diving while still being within the comfort zone for a relatively new diver. Does anyone disagree with this statement?

I'm traveling alone and am looking for a mid-range liveaboard catering to a laid back, quieter crowd. Does anyone know of a liveaboard that offers single occupancy cabins (don't care if it's tiny, just be nice to have some private space)?

Thanks!

I went on the Junk earlier this year. Best liveaboard i have been on! Great crew. I'm not sure on single cabins, but depending on how many are on the trip, there's a chance you could end up in a room on your own anyway. Not sure if you've been on a liveaboard before, but you'll find you literally only sleep and maybe a shower in your cabin, so i find i have no problem sharing.

And yes i think you have summed up the diving well. You will get some experience in currents and with depth, but also relatively straightforward sites. And the dive guides generally for similans are excellent so make it easy for you too.

Have fun!

There are several mid-priced boats that offer single cabins. Most will happily collect a single supplement to reserve a whole cabin for just one diver. Many boats charge very high single-supplement fees, up to 90%, but a few are more moderate in their pricing. A lot will depend on your date range. I often put single travelers on Le Mahe for reasonable single-supplement rates.

Hhhhhhhmmmmmmmm..........thank you very much for the kind words..........I think :confused: Currently considering a VIP package for those special wishes :wink: ..........Karin :D

Brian, to answer your questions.......

Yes, the Similans are very suitable for your situation. For instance, our schedule offers 2 days in the Similans before spending the last 3 days further north, where conditions can be a bit more challenging. That way you can get some more dives - or even do your advanced course at the Similans first. Besides, you'd be in a group of max 4 divers with others at your own level, so there's no stress or need to feel intimidated by the divers with 1000+ dives :)

As for single occupancy, most boats do charge extra. We charge 33% extra if you want to be certain to have your own cabin. 9 of 10 cases single travellers get their own cabin anyway - we take far less guests than the boat was built for, so we have plenty of cabins, unless we have many single guests.

Which ever boat you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time in the Similans :D

Greetings from the sun
Karin

Back
Top Bottom