Silicone transparency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcaqua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry to ask an obvious question, but I have a couple of masks which are great but the transparent silicone has turned yellowish. Is there anything that can be done to restore transparency or should I just leave things as they are....?

Thanks for any suggestions,

RA

That’s one reason I don’t go with clear masks. They turn that ugly yellow as they age.

Short answer no, long answer: anything that doesn't come off with warm water and soap is a product of chemical reaction inside the material, the only way to remove it is to remove the material.

The quality of the silicone, plus UV and chemical exposure and oxidation, all will cause that. All you can do is keep the mask clean (no sunblock, etc. on it) preferably stored in an air-tight opaque case, and I'd suggest talcing it before you store it. Dusting "rubber" and plastic parts with plain talc helps to prevent oxidation on the surface. Before there was ArmorAll and all that stuff, talc was the secret to preservation.

Or forget your silicone and get a black mask.

Or forget your silicone and get a black mask.
Dear Remante,

I think you are probably right, easiest is to forego transparent silicone. Thanks to all for their comments, much appreciated!

RA

I suspect, that is possible to coloring such mask. E.g. using ink from ball-point pen (not gel, but with smelly ink).
Paint it, wait some days, and clean ink from silicone, using alcohol or another diluents.
If you will have choice - put it down the drain, or repair - you can try :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom