Silicone Seal Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2as2js

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After getting a drysuit I'm looking to build a new, larger save-a-dive kit. Is there any concern about rolling up silicone seals fairly tightly to put them in a small bin or bag for long periods of time? I noticed they came rolled up and they were sticking to eachother pretty well. Will they get stuck more permanently like that over time or get out of shape and not bounce back after sitting like that for a couple of years?

We store our stash of extra silcone neck and wrist seals in a ziplock bag with some baby powder sprinkled in. I don't think rolling them would cause an issue but we don't have a reason to so we don't.

-Z

Talcum powder, lots of it? I use it with latex seals to great results. Maybe silicone would react the same?

latex seals tend to breakdown and will bond to each other...sort of like a vulcanizing reaction if left pressed together for too long. Latex will also be broken down by ozone....using talc creates a somewhat protective barrier on the latex to slow the deterioration and reactions.

Silicone does not suffer the same issue as latex seals. While the silicone seals will not "bond" to each other or themself the same way that latex seals will, they sometimes will stick to each other from mechanical pressure during storage...talcum powder/baby powder prevents this.

Its also a good idea to dab talc on your seals (silicone or latex) before donning a drysuit as it helps the wrists and neck slide through the seal. By storing the silicone seals in a bag with powder, they are ready to go for donning after swapping out a torn/damaged seal.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom