Silicone question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neutrallybuoyant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking about buying a new mask, but there's one thing I'm not sure about. It seems that different masks advertise two different types of silicone, crystal or liquid. The confusing thing is that both are claimed to be the best (highest grade). Now are liquid or crystal just different names for the same type of silicone, or are they different, and if so, which one is truly better. Thanks.

These are just company terms used to describe very clear silicone and very soft silicone. Silicone mixes are variable. None that I've seen is anything close to clear enough to be considered optically useful. Soft is nice, but too soft can collapse easily. Most masks have reasonable quality silicone formulas. All silicone deteriorates over time and with sun exposure. Clear silicone yellows, and most, if not all, get harder with age. I'd pay more attention to fit and comfort than worry about silicone chemistry. I prefer black silicone, and so do a lot of other divers. It keeps out ambient light, does not yellow, and is usually marginally softer.

I'd pay more attention to fit and comfort than worry about silicone chemistry.
I totally agree. It is more important to find a model which suits to
your face the best. Liquid skin silicone is good staff but ordinary silicone is still excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom