Silfra - weight limit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wingy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this or can explain why.

Having looked at a couple of Silfra diving (and snorkelling out of interest) advertisements when I looked through the fine print I found a minimum weight limit of 45kg.

I don't make the weight by a kilo or two at the moment....what I don't understand is Why?

I don't see why adding a few kilos of weight is not possible or why the weight limit to begin with? I'm pretty positive I'm not going to snap freeze because of a kg of body weight.

Clues? TIA

Most folk I saw there were using hired gear, so maybe it's to do with the dry suit sizes some operators carry? I see some have an upper weight limit of 120kg too, and also a height range of 150-200cm.

I hope you get to do it. It is a blast. We rented all our gear, dry suits and all.

You're not allowed to go to Silfra before I get there. Sorry. :wink:

Seriously, though there are several threads on Silfra here that have some useful information. One of the important things to note is that despite what the local operators tell you, there is no requirement that you hire a guide. At least, that's what a local or two has said in the threads.

If there's an oddball requirement you don't meet, maybe you just need to bring your gear, rent some weight/tanks, and rent a car in Iceland.

Alternatively, you could buy a couple gallons of Ice Cream and solve your weight problem!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom